Cedar Planter boxes - what glue?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Building some cedar planter boxes to hang on the porch railing. Will be using a lock-miter joint on the 3' x 1' x 6" deep boxes. What would be the best glue to use to hold the joints together. Cedar being somewhat porous, I'm not sure. I used the expanding foam glue (Gorilla brand) last time and they lasted about 8 years before the wood and joints started coming apart. They will be outside and have a lot of moist dirt in them.

I'll screw on a plywood bottom with drainage holes. Screwed on because this is somewhat sacrificial - have had to replace the bottoms several times during the life of the original boxes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
8 years in those conditions is pretty good. The only thing better would be epoxy. Probably not worth the effort and expense. Do what worked before.
I usually just screw ERC together with butt joints.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Tightbond now offers a Tightbond III. That might be a good project to try it on!

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Titebond III is designed for use outside once dry because it is water resistant and I believe Gorilla glue has a variation of this as well. Another option is exterior construction adhesives which a lot of brands have. Then there is epoxy and for that you could use a 15 or 30 minute type to reduce the wait time for it to set.

Have you considered white oak for outdoor boxes? It is argued by some to better than cedar for exterior use as it is more resistant to rotting.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
TB III is water RESISTANT, not water PROOF. A hint from boat builders: Epoxy. But if you don't need much strength, then the gorilla foaming glue is not a bad option and cheap.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Currently, I too am making a cedar planer box. Doesn't sound as nice as yours, but I am using TB III.
For the bottom inside portion, where the soil will be contained, I'll be using plastic sheeting (to line the entire inside) and landscape fabric.

I'm planning on poking a few holes in the sheeting, and putting in a partial downspout, so any water will be funneled through the sheeting, and into the downspout.
1685043649671.png

1685043680823.png

I am hoping, this way will prevent the need to ever replace the bottom, where you are planning on using plywood.
Just an idea.
My vote is for TB III.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I used Titebond III about two years ago. So far so good. I also used three coats of deck stain. If someone asks me in 5-6 years I'll be able to tell 'em whether it worked or not.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I avoid using glue fo anything that is made for outdoor use. However if you must, take a look at construction adhesive (Liquid Nails, Locktite PL, Gorilla all make some form of it).

I used brass screws and oak once and found out years later brass wasn’t the best choice. Oak was still good but screws were not. Stainless steel screws will outlast any wood but are more expensive. Good old deck screws with the right coating is probably the most cost effective and should last as long as the wood. Also found out that some cedar will crack if you don’t use pilot holes. Now I always drill pilot holes and wax the screws.🤓

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I just built mine a month ago with Titebond III, with a plastic liner on the inside like Rory’s. I also used coated deck screws.

Sounds like we can check back in a few years to see how everything held up!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion. This group rocks. I may just skip the lock-miter and use deck screws to put the thing together. It will surely be quicker than all the setup and testing to get the lock-miter honed in. Did I mention I'm building 5 of these, well actually I cut wood for 6 because some of the pieces look a little iffy. That way I can pick the best 5 x 4 sides out of the 6 x 4 pieces.

I plant the peppers in these and it's time to get planting for sure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS