Cedar blanket chest redone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A 1940-1950s "Cavalier" chest made by the Tennessee Furniture Co. in Chattanooga, TN. They advertised it as Tennessee Red Cedar but it's just regular ERC found everywhere.

It was finished with so much shellac over the years that it looked like it had been dipped so it had a "plastic" appearance. Really ugly! Stripped and refurbished. The exterior is sprayed Zinnser Seal Coat shellac and the interior is Giles & Kendall Cedar oil to refresh the wood for storage of blankets, sweaters, etc. The interior has soaked up the G & K oil like a sponge so it was thirsty. It smells like real cedar now.

P8180149.jpg

P8180150.jpg

P8180153.jpg

I'm going to add a leather strap as a lid opening stop.

My buddy remembers this chest at the foot of his parents bed for as long as he can remember. He's now 62.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Looks great. What did you do to strip it?

I guessed that it was shellac because of the age and thick brushed on plastic appearance. Voila, I got lucky! I really didn't want to resort to "Tuff-Strip" and straight DNA is much easier to work with. After a 2x treatment it was some cleanup with brash brushes, sandpaper, and a card scraper.

My original post with pics and description was on 7/23/13. See the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom of this page. I would have attached the direct link but can't figure out how to do it. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS