Carving Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Hank, I appreciate the heads-up. The second suggestion was close to what I'm looking for but I did not see it until just now and it was sold.

I am looking to purchase just under 30 specific tools, preferably new. Not looking for someone to give them to me (though that would be nice) but since I'm not in a hurry and Pfiel sale prices are at least 20% off retail, if I can't find new Swiss-made or German-made for 20% or more off retail, I can wait.

Thanks again.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me know what you want and I will watch too.

I REALLY like my two cherries set, but it was acquired over 4 or 5 years!
The steel is unbelievable. (polished and keeps an edge...)

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Hank,

Thanks again for the offer of help. I've heard really good things about Two Cherries and Pfiel and although my access to using them has been limited I agree that either would certainly meet my needs. I decided to get the available Auriou chisels as a starter set. They may not be better than others but they really are 'sweet as sugar' right out of the package. I'm happy with the decision so far except their range and availability are severely limited.

Let me know what you want and I will watch too.

I REALLY like my two cherries set, but it was acquired over 4 or 5 years!
The steel is unbelievable. (polished and keeps an edge...)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You might contact Jim Bode and see if he has older chisels to fill in the missing pieces.

Sometimes he will give a better price if you call and talk to him.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Two-Cherries is a good brand. Ashley Isles is another. I personally don't care for the Swiss Pfiel gouges or the flex-cut ones, but that is just personal preference. You can also find some older gouges at Ed's shop in Pittsboro.

Lee Valley and ToolsforWorkingWood are good sources.

mcsincnj

New User
Mike Miller
I was very surprised to see that Buck Brothers is considered vintage. Amazon has six, but they are much shorter than the set I have. I know you want new, but if you get "vintage" from a ex-professional they are probably 2x as long as what is sold today. All of my carving tools are Buck's and at least 10" from the tip to the tang. Also, older steel will hold an edge much longer than anything sold from China.

http://www.amazon.com/6-Pc-Firmer-C..._sbs_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=10BXKSB559SC2RB5546P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS