Can this window be repaired?

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
We have 3 double hung windows where the spring-loaded tensioner has broken loose from the window frame side making it nearly impossible to open. We are selling the house and have just discovered these problems. We almost never raise the windows so it went undetected for a long time. My fear of attempting a repair myself is that we may end up with an opening with no windows.
Can anyone recommend someone suitable for these repairs? or convince me that it is an easy repair for me to undertake?

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 60

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Following post.

I have the same window spring mechanism and a few of mine have doe the same thing. Beazer built my home and sourced their materials from Stock Building Supplies. Now Builders First Source. May need to call them and see if this is their product.
Also checknand see if you have a sticker on your window. It would give a model number and you can check the internet for videos for repairs.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
It’s called a sash balance. I have never replaced one, but I did a Google search and it came up with both replacement parts and videos on “how to“.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
yes, remove the sash by tilting and raising, then twisting side to side, the sash can be removed. The balancer can be replaced. Do a google search for sash balancer, they can be had for about $10/set, I think, last ones I got.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I have decided to seek a repair person's help. I've got too much going on with the preparation for moving. I love DIYing but I'm too stressed out to take it on. If the estimate is too high I will change my mind.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS