Can I cut Rockler's T-track with my miter saw?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I know you should be able to, but it makes me cringe. Hack saw, or my nifty 12v Milwaukee Hacksall.
Maybe I would if I had a $12 Home Despot blade. Not my CMT or Amana and I had enough trouble with Freud blades just cutting wood.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did you stop when you saw sparks?

Asking for a friend.

-Mark
Nah. Just made sure I had my safety glasses on. Sometimes saw blades are cheaper than plywood, but you need a few extra blades to do that stuff. Part of the problem is people not realizing when they build concrete forms that they have to actually come apart once the concrete is set......
This is one of my pet peeves along with not cleaning mortar and concrete off your shovels and out of your wheelbarrows before it sets up. Not trying to hijack the thread, just answering a question.

RichardH

New User
Richard
While I have never had issues cutting aluminum t-track with a miter saw the mess of metal bits it makes isn’t fun to deal with and seems to go everywhere. I seem to be finding small metal bits weeks after making a cut all over the shop.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Don't be tempted to cut aluminum with a wood cutting band saw. Its one of those situations where one could do it, but whether one should do it is another question.

I don't even like cutting aluminum on my metal cutting band saws.

1       BS Al - 1.jpg

Leonard

Roy
User
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I went ahead and made 8 cuts with my miter saw. I did feel that the t-track wanted to travel a 1/16" or so even though I was holding it as hard as I could against the fence. So I made a jig and used the existing screw holes to receive a pin (screw) as part of the jig. I clamped the jig onto the fence and made the cut very slowly. The track did get pretty hot and tiny pieces of aluminum got everywhere. I'm glad I wore a mask, goggles and a hat. The cuts were pretty clean. I hope I don't have to do it again though.

ChemE75

Tom
User
As a follow up question: I seem to recall someone telling me to cut aluminum channel or angle, mount my carbide tipped table saw blade backwards. Anyone heard of this? Pretty sure I’ve done it, without any damage, but I might have used an abrasive blade - been a long time and can’t remember but know I did cut an Al angle.

ChemE75

Tom
User
That backwards mount blade is a method plastic and aluminum siding guys seem to prefer since that stuff is pretty thin.
I know I’ve done it successfully without blade damage but can’t recall exactly what I was cutting, definitely thicker than siding.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors