Cage

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I've been woodworking for about 2yrs trying to learn all I can. Recently purchased a nice lathe and an seeking opions on a headstock cage.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
My Jet came with a gage, but I have never liked it, so I don't use it. What brand of lathe do you have?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You might want to use it the first week or so but you will quickly see that it is in the way and mostly useless.

I’d be happy to show you what bad things can happen and how to avoid them.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to learn your a little distance away and I'm home on Sunday and Monday I don't like wearing my dust mask but quickly learned to appreciate it after sanding padauk lol

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
You might want to use it the first week or so but you will quickly see that it is in the way and mostly useless.
I'll have to disagree slightly, at least on the descriptor. I'll put those cages in a category of totally useless. Manufacturers are practicing CYA law.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you need protection you can add a chin pad to the hard hat in case of a piece breaking free. Kinda like one the catchers use. Some at work use them. I only use my chainsaw hardhat with sound protection and a face guard. Then switch to my versaflow for sanding.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to learn your a little distance away and I'm home on Sunday and Monday I don't like wearing my dust mask but quickly learned to appreciate it after sanding padauk lol
I’m usually in the shop or in the yard on Sunday.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The cage gets in the way of turning and is often removed. Just be careful when starting up and don't have the lathe on too high a speed. When turning a bowl don't stand in line with the piece, stand off to the side so any projectiles won't hit you.

Roy G

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
The cage gets in the way of turning and is often removed. Just be careful when starting up and don't have the lathe on too high a speed. When turning a bowl don't stand in line with the piece, stand off to the side so any projectiles won't hit you.

Roy G
Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
See Jerry,
People can't even give them away! LOL

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I just didn't know if it was a good idea. Seems to be but all new to me. I would like to try one tho.I guess if learn with one you'd become accustomed to it

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors