CAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
For several years I've been looking for a CAD program that would make it possible to store my harpsichord plans digitally. I've downloaded demo versions of several (actually more than several) CAD programs .... all with the same result. The learning curves were terribly long especially for people like me who have little math aptitude. Not only did I not understand how to anything - I didn't even understand what it was that I didn't understand.

Then I found Delta Cad Professional (www.deltacad.com). It is a simple, 2D Cad program that I could actually learn relatively quickly. Best of all, it was cheap (under $50 if I remember correctly). I have since used it to transfer most of my plans to digital. When I need a plan, I take a flash drive with the digital plan on it to my local digital print shop and get a full-sized plan printed for about $15. As I use the actual plan as a template the printouts MUST be accurate... and they are.

I'd love to know what experiences our members have had with other CAD programs.

Ernie

Kenith

New User
Ken Stewart
i have used Turbo Cad. The learning curve on it is pretty tough. I have heard it is quite similar to Autocad. Got it at Office Depot.

Ken

M

McRabbet

I've used TurboCAD Professional for several years -- not cheap and tough learning curve, but very versatile. Unfortunately, I misplaced my master CD and then lost my hard drive this past Spring, so I'm now using AutoCAD 2002 -- more expensive and steeper learning curve -- definitely not for the faint of heart.

But lately, I've been using SketchUp for the majority of my needs. It is full 3D and is free from Google. There are extensive Help files, Tutorials, Videos, Forums, Blogs (like Design, Click, Build from FineWoodworking.com) and more. Very useful tool and easier (but challenging) to learn.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I downloaded SketchUP from Google a year or so ago. I play with it from time to time but I think the 3D is too much for my 2D brain to absorb.

Ernie

cptully

New User
Chris
I downloaded SketchUP from Google a year or so ago. I play with it from time to time but I think the 3D is too much for my 2D brain to absorb.

Ernie

Ernie,

I've used Autocad and various knock offs over the years. I had the pleasure of learning CAD as senior in high school when a friend and I completed the entire years worth of drawings for a two period drafting course in the first 8-9 weeks!:gar-Bi We spent the remainder of the year drawing plans for the NCC-1701D in a CAD program. That experience has left me with a strong preference for CAD based drawing.

I have played with Sketchup several times and never could make it work for me.:no: Than I found the Design. Click. Build. blog:widea: on Taunton's web site (http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=fw-designforum) which has helped me convert from 2D CAD to 3D drawing in SketchUp. In my estimation, SketchUp's learning curve is steeper but shorter than CAD's. In just a few weeks of reading and watching the videos on and linked from the Design. Click. build. blog I've become almost as facile with Sketchup as I am with AutoCAD.

Chris Tully

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Chris,

Thanks. I went to the Taunton's blog and found it fascinating. I can certainly see the advantages of 3D over 2D. I'm gonna give Sketchup another try (or 2 or 20). I'll let you know how I'm doing.

Ernie

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I've used Autodesk's QuickCAD for windows. But now that I have a Mac I use Sketchup all the time. There's a podcast called "The Sketchup Show" that is great and I've learned a lot from it. The Design.Click.Build blog is great too (Fine Woodworking). I've always used a separate cut list program, but now there is a Custlist plugin for Sketchup. It does pretty much anything that my stand alone program did; board feet calcs, layouts by materials etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS