Cabin logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I can't help but admire all the old cabins and sheds I see when driving around.
Lotta work involved on somebodys part!

It got me to wondering though, as to what species of North Carolina trees might have been commonly used, suitable, or preferred?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Until the blight, they were made from American Chestnut, which is why they are still standing. Almost rot-proof and insect -proof. large pieces can still be found on the ground after ~70 decades since the blight. A shame, a real shame.

Oops, I forgot you are in Eastern N.C. I'm sure Mike knows more than I about your question. Now, for the buildings like you describe nearer the mountains, I stand by my response.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I grew up near Scranton, chestnut trees were everywhere then.
No idea how many green chestnuts I've thrown or been struck by, but those things hurt!

William Roscoe

New User
William
Back when we had large, slower growing pines, the heart would last forever. That is until you spilled a few coals on it next to the fireplace and that pine burned like gasoline. Poplar is pretty good and white oak if you get all the sap wood off. I guess Chestnut was good against everything except those worms.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Back when we had large, slower growing pines, the heart would last forever. That is until you spilled a few coals on it next to the fireplace and that pine burned like gasoline. Poplar is pretty good and white oak if you get all the sap wood off. I guess Chestnut was good against everything except those worms.
William, it was/is a blight caused by a fungus, not worms. Introduced on Asian stock in New York around 1900, then spread South. Not meaning to be picky, just hoping to explain. :)
Here's some good info:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/blight.html

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
There are three hand hewn log cabins on my farm, and one barn built with roughsawn lumber. All were made from pine - small diameter, old growth logs.

The old farm down the road has a barn built and sided from sweetgum and white oak. The sweetgum was used for board siding, and is about 80 years old (and still in great shape).

Scott

Attachments

• two cabins.jpg
    two cabins.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 158
  • tool cabin exterior.jpg
    tool cabin exterior.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 158
  • barn1.jpg
    barn1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 162
  • tool cabin slabpour2.jpg