Buying a SawStop

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I bought it at Klingspor this morning, they deliver for a very reasonable amount and that way I don't have to worry about trying to haul it out of a truck. Delivery on Thursday - they actually had everything in stock, except the ICS mobile base has to come from the other store. Now I need to hurry up and get the mess in the shop organized so I have a place to put it!

I decided for now to hold off on the overarm dust collection. I'll see how things go with the stock setup, and I may end up building something custom instead.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have been contemplating upgrading my SS Jobsite to a cabinet saw for some time. Definitely want the 3hp model. But curious about the right fence system to buy - 36 or 52. I don't cutdown large sheets too often, if that is the main justification for the 52 incher. But from comments above it appears that most folks have gone with the 36 inch version. I am curious why they may have opted for the 36 inch model. Was it due to space considerations? cost? Or never saw the need for the 52 incher?
I have the 52 because I bought the saw used from my uncle. I use thw space to keep small scraps for splines or trim etc. Nothing else is stored there but things do end up there. I don't cut big sheets so I don't need the 52 inches. I would rather have the floor space . It's not much space but it would allow me to but thw saw against my dust collection barrel which would open room to run my shelving to the floor for wood storage. Probably just a coin flip.

Budget or shop space might be the choice maker

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I bought a 36" PCS 3hp (SawStop)

I bought my SS from here: US Tool & Fastener, Festool, Shaper, Kreg, SawStop, Stabila

It was shipped to my house, then they (FedEx driver) used a pallet jack to move it to my garage.
I got the "freebie" over head dust arm (when it was on promo). If it wasn't "free", I definitely wouldn't have paid for it. From what I've read, and heard, the larger over head arm isn't worth the $$ or "upgrade."
I too have the ICS mobile base.... GREAT purchase.

If you don't have several muscle heads to help, I wouldn't bother with trying to man handle the saw, by myself, out of a truck.

Hope this helps.

Side Q. Are you going to go Incra Table saw fence? Or, would you drop a G and go with the Harvey BIG EYE rip fence? 🤪

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought my Colliflower throat plate from Infinity. Mine is aluminum (except for the inserts) I think they may use a sturdy plastic now. The inserts are melamine covered hardboard. They are very, very, flimsy. There is barely enough space for a 3/4 dado stack to stay in the insert leaving a very thin web of hardboard surrounding it. I make my own inserts of scraps of softwood or hardwood which makes them more sturdy. But I still remain concerned about the amount of wood structure left in the insert if you use it for large dados. I think it will work but getting the dado stack that close to metal that could trigger the brake makes me nervous.

I've pretty much switched to cutting dados with my router. I find switching out cartridges to be a non-minor hassle. Setting up the dado stack to get the width I want was always a hassle. And then there is the throat plate. Nothing unsolvable but everything considered, a router seems preferable. I have a jig from DeWalt (my track saw supplier) so I can guide the router with the track saw track. So cutting them is accurate and comparitively easy. I only do shallow dados, more for locating pieces than anything else, which my PC690s cut easily.

I wish my PCS was easier to use for cutting dados but I've adapted. I still like my PCS but I think it is a drawback to the protection technology.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I bought my Colliflower throat plate from Infinity. Mine is aluminum (except for the inserts) I think they may use a sturdy plastic now. The inserts are melamine covered hardboard. They are very, very, flimsy. There is barely enough space for a 3/4 dado stack to stay in the insert leaving a very thin web of hardboard surrounding it. I make my own inserts of scraps of softwood or hardwood which makes them more sturdy. But I still remain concerned about the amount of wood structure left in the insert if you use it for large dados. I think it will work but getting the dado stack that close to metal that could trigger the brake makes me nervous.

I've pretty much switched to cutting dados with my router. I find switching out cartridges to be a non-minor hassle. Setting up the dado stack to get the width I want was always a hassle. And then there is the throat plate. Nothing unsolvable but everything considered, a router seems preferable. I have a jig from DeWalt (my track saw supplier) so I can guide the router with the track saw track. So cutting them is accurate and comparitively easy. I only do shallow dados, more for locating pieces than anything else, which my PC690s cut easily.

I wish my PCS was easier to use for cutting dados but I've adapted. I still like my PCS but I think it is a drawback to the protection technology.

Setting up the table saw for dadoes has always been a bit of a hassle. Shims to get the width right, change out the ZCI, etc. I'll do it, but only for larger jobs that warrant it. Having to swap out the cartridge as well means the threshold on whether to use the router table instead will shift. But, it's nice it's an option for those projects where you really need it.

I'm thinking about getting the Colliflower insert, although if I can 3D print my own that might be a better option. It's not trivial, but I could print them with more "meat" around the outer edges and just a thin layer in the middle that's going to get cut out anyway. The biggest problem is the long dimension, I can only print about 9" in length so it would have to be in two pieces that are then glued together. A bit of a hassle, but it would lower the cost to probably $1 - $2 per insert.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS