butcher block conditioner on furniture

ninjasnail

New User
Jeff
I just completed a crib out of red oak. I'm thinking about using howard's butcher block conditioner as a finish on this crib.

What do you think?

Echd

C
User
It's just wax and mineral oil. It will be easily repairable but nondurable. I guess it's an option.

ninjasnail

New User
Jeff
Thanks for this! Any suggestion on what to finish with that would allow the "feel" of the wood to still be there. Would like to stay away from poly.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any wipe on varnish. Such as Tried and True, Antique Oil, a wipe on polyurethane of any brand. Anything along those lines. Or try a hard wax oil. It seems to be gaining ground among users. General Finishes has something in that product line. It seems to be a good product. I haven’t used it yet, but it’s reviews are solid. Good luck and please share your results.

Echd

C
User
A hard wax oil (rubio, osmo, natura, general, odies, etc) is probably the best match for what you want and is still easily repairable while being more durable and not looking like the wood is wrapped in plastic.

ninjasnail

New User
Jeff
I'll give the hard wax oil a go and let you know, it's something new ;-). Klingspore and Rockler in Cary carry it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS