Burial urns dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Dimensions for burial urns.
It is suggested they be constructed of hard wood, 3/4" stock.
TOP, 10 3/4 X 8 3/4"
BOTTOM, 11 1/4 X 9 1/4"
FRONT/BACK 10 1/4-5 7/8"
SIDES: 8 1/4-5 7/8"

A decorative double ogee or ogee and bead design on top and bottom panels is suggested. Any suitable Jointery can be used. The bottom panel should have the words, NOT FOR SALE. Also the wording, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, and, COMPLIMENTS OF NC WOODWORKERS.ORG.
Thank you folks.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Any timeline on these Bruce? What type of finish should they have ? Are those inside dimensions or outside?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The dimensions are outside dimensions. I'm using an acrylic urethane exterior finish, but spar varnish would work just as well. I'm using semi gloss, but that's just me. Time line, I'm already getting requests for urns. They are to be used to replace veteran's cremains brought to the cemetery in cardboard boxes, and are to be interred in National or NC State Veterans Cemeteries.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dimensions for burial urns.
It is suggested they be constructed of hard wood, 3/4" stock.
TOP, 10 3/4 X 8 3/4"
BOTTOM, 11 1/4 X 9 1/4"
FRONT/BACK 10 1/4-5 7/8"
SIDES: 8 1/4-5 7/8"

A decorative double ogee or ogee and bead design on top and bottom panels is suggested. Any suitable Jointery can be used. The bottom panel should have the words, NOT FOR SALE. Also the wording, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, and, COMPLIMENTS OF NC WOODWORKERS.ORG.
Thank you folks.

Bruce are you just edge joining these or mitering the corners or are you cutting a rabbet or something else?

How is the top attached?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Any type of Jointery is just fine, whatever the builder likes. I just used 90 degree miters. I'm probably going to cut a couple of splines, or keys in each corher, and put them in, 1/8" thick black walnut on the one I'm putting together today. The screws would be #8 1 1/4", stainless steel Phillips head. These need to be removed at the cemetery, cremains inserted, and returned to fasten the bottom plate.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Veteran Urn Pic.jpgpicture of urn made by Greenville Woodworkers.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Glad you got this moving Bruce. Do you have arrangements in place to get the urns to you from around the state?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The urns will be going to Salisbury National Cemetery. I can transport urns from Hickory area. The National Cemetery has a storage area for them, so they will be there when needed.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Will cypress be ok? How do we put the wording on? I do not have the means in my shop?

Brought this project to the attention of my hardwood supplier to see if they would be willing to donate some materials. Will update when I have a response.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Cypress would be great. I have a cheap wood burner I've been using to put on th e wording. It's a bit crude, but does the job. Thanks.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Cypress would be great. I have a cheap wood burner I've been using to put on th e wording. It's a bit crude, but does the job. Thanks.

Maybe saw4you or Ivy may could send some our way. I have some cypress in house, maybe enuf for 8 or 10 ish. Right now I am under the weather but I will start making asap. Is there a specific quantity needed or sadly a steady supply? If long term then I will jig up in shop so as to be able to do them in batches.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I don't know on quantities yet, but the other clubs initially built 40, perhaps we could do the same. We should be able to deliver urns after April 9. I've already been asked for 2, and the project hasn't even started.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
darn just checked we are 3 hrs apart otherwise we fire up my tools and make a run on them. I think I will be well enuf by the week end to start them.

The dimensions are CORRECT yes? Do not want to make these wrong. Has there been any central place to place these once built? Or do we take orders and build to fill? those questions need answers also. I see a few of us here getting rolling and a whole bunch being built, storage becomes important. Back of my brain is wondering if these can be designed as a flat pack with rta possible

Also a question; why are SS screws being bandied about? exterior deck screws should work as well? I agree they deserve the best, just trying to understand the SS cost wise

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Yes, there is storage which is going yo be provided at Salisbury National Cemetery, at the Historic Cemetery
We will be shown the space April 9, when we meet with the cemetery director. Hoping for a few NCWWers to be at the meeting.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
darn just checked we are 3 hrs apart otherwise we fire up my tools and make a run on them. I think I will be well enuf by the week end to start them.

The dimensions are CORRECT yes? Do not want to make these wrong. Has there been any central place to place these once built? Or do we take orders and build to fill? those questions need answers also. I see a few of us here getting rolling and a whole bunch being built, storage becomes important. Back of my brain is wondering if these can be designed a flat pack with rta possible

Yes, they are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors