Built-in design

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am working with Jbrewer on a potential built-in computer desk/shelf unit. This is the basic design, based on site measurements and client requests. I am concerned about the knee space allowance. Any suggestions as to how I could gain more room?? I think a face frame is needed, so it can be scribed to fit the recess. The client requested the cab. and drawers on each side and to have them match. I sized them based on the request for CPU tower storage. Any other advice or critiques welcome...other than I should use Sketch-up :lol: :lol: :lol: I could do 20 drawings like that in the time it takes me to learn Sketch-up :5dunce:

built-in_scan_2.jpg

I believe it will be built out of R.Oak solid and ply, with a natural stain. Beadboard for the back of the shelfing unit. Anyone know a good source for RO beadboard???
BTW I wrote the scale notation down wrong. It is scaled at 1"=1'-0" D'oh!!!!

Dave:)

Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Dave-I know a guy that runs a moulding operation, he can run anything you want from solid wood. I do not know if beadboard paneling is available unfinished in red oak. I have seen it pre-finished in various finishes (4x8 sheets).:)

Jerry

M

McRabbet

Dave, that's a real high built-in -- 11 Feet!! One challenge you are going to have is the sides and back -- since the computer desk is only 2'4" high, you'll have 8'8" to the top and I don't know where you can find sheets of plywood over 8' long... As designed, there doesn't seem to be a good place for a seam line break in the sides or back... I like the design, but it is going to appear (and is) very tall... Just my $0.02

Rob

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Thin your face frame vertical pieces about 1/2 to 3/4'' each, keep 8'' or what ever for the tower, It can give you an extra 1 to 1 1/2 for leg room. also leave the back off the back of the tower case so it can get some air and gain room for the cables.
dick

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, that's a real high built-in -- 11 Feet!! One challenge you are going to have is the sides and back -- since the computer desk is only 2'4" high, you'll have 8'8" to the top and I don't know where you can find sheets of plywood over 8' long... As designed, there doesn't seem to be a good place for a seam line break in the sides or back... I like the design, but it is going to appear (and is) very tall... Just my $0.02

Rob

Rob, it's actually only 9' tall and that is the clients ceiling height, it will be a little shorter to get in place and have crown molding on top. I plan it to be built in 2 pieces, the bottom desk section and the top shelves, so I shouldn't have any problems with using standard sized ply. But I would agree it does look really tall. But 28" is a standard desk height, and it would be a shame to make it shorter overall and waste the rest of the space up to the ceiling.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thin your face frame vertical pieces about 1/2 to 3/4'' each, keep 8'' or what ever for the tower, It can give you an extra 1 to 1 1/2 for leg room. also leave the back off the back of the tower case so it can get some air and gain room for the cables.
dick

Dick, those are good suggestion, although I think that I need more than a few extra inches. I would like to leave the drawers out entirely. I also plan on using vents on the inside wall of the tower case to help with cross ventilation.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I built my wife a computer and used a Mid-sized case. Its 21 1/4" tall. Doesn't look like the CPU storage will allow that. Depending on the size of your client, I would allow at least 24" from floor for leg room.

My 0.02

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS