Built-in Bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here is the latest project I have been working on. Let me know what you think. If I could start over there are some things I'd do differently, but the lady I built these for is happy:eusa_danc The only thing left to do on the project is make doors for the lower cabinets. I'll be making raised panel doors, using MDF for the panels. There's a few more progress pics in my gallery.

Attachments

• Homan Bookcase 007.jpg
    Homan Bookcase 007.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 260

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Ed,

Very nice set of built-ins. Can you give us any construction details? You said you might do some things differently if you were to do these again. What would you change? They certainly don't look like they need any changing.

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ed, great job on th built-in bookcase.:icon_thum I really like the looks of that beaded panel you used for the back of the cases. I look forward to seeing the doors you make for it.

D L

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ed,

Very nice set of built-ins. Can you give us any construction details? You said you might do some things differently if you were to do these again. What would you change? They certainly don't look like they need any changing.

Ray

The first thing I would have done differently is set the back in a little deeper so I could scribe to the wall instead of trimming with additional moulding. The other things were just my mistakes. I was able to cover them up, but I'm glad this one was painted! One of the other things I had a small issue with was securing the upper cabs to the wall. I drilled some pockets on the top to go into the studs and all went well until I found I hadn't left enough room to have good access to the screws:eusa_doh:. O-well, I'll chalk that up to a learning point.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Really nice! I'm sure the owner will be pleased.

What did you use for the backs ?

Beaded ply from the Depot. It came out quite nicely. I used their sande ply for the cases and was not too thrilled with that. A while back they had poplar ply available and I was hoping they had that still, but no luck:-(. I also checked with the Hardwood Co., but they didn't have any immediately available and the lady I was doing these for was in quite a hurre to get them in.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Beaded ply from the Depot. It came out quite nicely. I used their sande ply for the cases and was not too thrilled with that. A while back they had poplar ply available and I was hoping they had that still, but no luck:-(. I also checked with the Hardwood Co., but they didn't have any immediately available and the lady I was doing these for was in quite a hurre to get them in.

I just picked up so sandply for a garage project. It's just a replacement / expansion of the shelves that act as a shoe rack. I got the material ffrom Home Despot too. Like you I was really disappointed with the stuff. I've purchased their sandply before and I think the quality has gone way down hill. I had some aweful tearout with this batch and I was using a new 60 tooth blade. I'm guessing you saw the same tearout and voids. So... where else can we go to get sandply, apple ply, birtch or poplar in your area or mine?

Ray

Travis

New User
Travis
Nice case. I noticed that you had commented about scribing. I am going to start a similar project soon where I will have to scribe a side wall and back wall. If anyone has advice for this procedure I would be great full. I have looked in several woodworking how to books with few references to the process.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice job on the bookcase and if the customer is happy, you hit a homerun. :eusa_clap

Ray, you might try Horizon Forest Product for ply. I have used them in the past at their site in Wilmington. They have a site somewhere in the Raleigh area.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Nice job on the bookcase and if the customer is happy, you hit a homerun. :eusa_clap

Ray, you might try Horizon Forest Product for ply. I have used them in the past at their site in Wilmington. They have a site somewhere in the Raleigh area.

I googled the name and came up with a couple of locations in Raleigh. http://www.horizonforest.com/loc.htm
Thanks for the pointer. I really do need a new source for plywood.

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I googled the name and came up with a couple of locations in Raleigh. http://www.horizonforest.com/loc.htm
Thanks for the pointer. I really do need a new source for plywood.

Ray

Ray, from your link of several locations this is the one you want to go to:

Raleigh, NC Cabinet Supply Branch

3070 Business Park Dr, Suite 114
Raleigh, NC 27610
Phone: (919) 719-0877
Fax: (919) 719-0878
Toll Free: (800) 567-1708

Carl Bahn - Branch Manager
RC Lloyd - Sales
Michael Farmer - Sales
Jeff Hornbeck - Sales
Tim Cherry - Sales

They are located a block or two behind the Raleigh Hardwood Center off Poole Rd. I stopped in their a couple months ago to pick up some Melamine sheetgoods and found that they carry a wide selection of sheetgoods. They also carry hardwood lumber but prefer to limit the sale of hardwood to a 50 bf minimum. I was very pleased with their prices and their customer service.

D L

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Ed,
We are our own worst critics. Just realize that few will ever look at your work the way you do. As you said the customer is pleased, but we usually look at a project with ideas of how we could improve it. That shows we care.
Be sure to take pictures of the completed job for your portfolio as this is a piece that should prove to be very popular. More people are going to wide screen TV's which won't fit in places where the old ones did. And I think it's beautiful too.
Roy

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

... I am going to start a similar project soon where I will have to scribe a side wall and back wall. If anyone has advice for this procedure I would be great full. I have looked in several woodworking how to books with few references to the process.
Travis,

For your two wall situation, be sure the face frame going to the side wall extends enough past the cabinet carcase to scribe it a little. Likewise, you need some extra stock where the cabinet side wall can be scribed to the back wall. Get the cabinet close to final placement so it touches each wall. Use a simple pencil compass to draw the scribing line, setting the pencil just a little wider than the largest gap. Do the side wall first. Hold the point against the wall at the top of the cabinet side frame and draw a line to the bottom, holding the compass perpendicular to the wall. Remove the cabinet and plane the face frame to the line. Re-hang the cabinet and once it is tight to the side wall, repeat the process with the back wall and you've got it done. If the material is plywood, I'd cut off the excess with a jigsaw, being careful to maintain a smooth line.

Hope this helps.

Rob

dtomasch

New User
David
I just picked up so sandply for a garage project. It's just a replacement / expansion of the shelves that act as a shoe rack. I got the material ffrom Home Despot too. Like you I was really disappointed with the stuff. I've purchased their sandply before and I think the quality has gone way down hill. I had some aweful tearout with this batch and I was using a new 60 tooth blade. I'm guessing you saw the same tearout and voids. So... where else can we go to get sandply, apple ply, birtch or poplar in your area or mine?

Ray
I have used aurocco (sp?) from Lowe's life and had much better results than the sandiply. Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS