Briggs motor lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
I thought I had posted this project here back when I started it about 5-6 years ago. Guess not. It started as a pattern from Steebar and as always I had to add a twist of my own. I've made three and I don't think any two are alike. The second, I added tapered fins to. The third, I added the spark plug assembly. So now I've had to do some work on it because after so many years of the grandkids (and me too) running it, it started to wear out some of the moving parts. So... and 'overhaul' was in the mix now. While overhauling it only seems right to add the spark plug and raise the base a bit. I didn't have any available maple to make the tapered fins so I left them alone.

When it's turned on and running: the valves (actually 2 small valves in the head of the motor where the spark plug is located) follow correct sequence to show intake, compression and exhaust cycles. The LED on the tip of the spark plug lights at the top of the compression cycle just as it should. To this, there is a small cam located on the drive axle of the left small exhaust gear/cam that operates a micro switch to light the LED at the proper time. It's adjustable so it can be adjust for BTDC or after TDC.
newest pic.jpgFinished motor light.jpgRear of assembly from the right.jpg

The first pic is as it is today after the 'overhaul'. Re-shimmed the electric drive motor in back, added the two push rod guides and new intake gear/cam assembly, and made the drawer base for the bottom of the whole assembly.

The second pic is of the one I did with the tapered cooling fins and the spark plug assembly. The drawers underneath it are not part of the lamp. They were dvd holders I had made years ago.

ehpoole

Ethan
Mike, what can I possibly say other than that I love it.

I'm not sure it would have ever occurred to me to make a table lamp into a work of kinetic art!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Briggs Motor Lamp video

Great action and good timing; now to build the all wooden car to put it in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS