Breast Cancer box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
A friend of mine is throwing a benefit to raise money for breast cancer research. The event is tonight at 6 pm at La Residence in Chapel hill. You're all more than welcome to come--here's her website

http://tarheelwalk.wordpress.com/

She had asked me if I would make and donate a keepsake box with a pink ribbon inlay to auction off to raise proceeds, and here it is. If I had had more time, I would have made it more ornate, but as is I am pleased with it

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's awesome Marco! Did you cut the DTs by hand??
What makes up the pink ribbon "inlay"? Is that Ambrosia maple?? I would have choosen the back to be the front as it's got some awesome figure.
Great work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap for a very worth cause. A dear person to me is dealing with breast cancer right now and I am sure she would appreciate your contribution. I am sure her husband will show this to her.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking box and for a very worthy cause. You did a great job!!!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The box looks great bro' and it's for a good cause also. :eusa_clapHere's a cheer for you:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate all the praise, especially after the night I've had. The box only auctioned off for $25. Talk about a blow to the old ego. Eh, that's the way it goes!

As for the box, it's ambrosia maple. The dovetails were mostly cut by hand, I cut the tails on the bandsaw to save some time and removed the waste with the scroll saw. I was going to choose the back to be the front, but the loml didn't like the grain and thought I should do it the other way around. I guess i should blame the low aution take on her!!:rotflm::rotflm:

The inlay was a whole other story. It's holly from a bush that was on my property. I stained it with pink minwax stain. But when I set the first piece, I didn't set it deeply enough so that when I flushed it with the surface all the pink came off. I proceeded with the inlay anyways, only to not like the white ribbon. So I used highlighter to color in the inlay, and then sanded some of it off to see the wood grain better. It came out ok, but I learned a valuable lesson for the future!!

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I would be very pleased to attach my name to that piece and as a woman I can appreciate its intent. Good job, love the wood.

skeeter

New User
Charles
That's an awesome box and a very worthy cause. Someone really got a deal on it. It should have gone for much more.

I know what you mean about the inlays. I just got a good lesson on making one.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Marco - that's a great contribution to a worthy cause. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BTW the HC DTs look pretty doggone good from here. :icon_thum Barring accidental damage I'm guessing that box will be around for generations.

Chuck

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Marco,

That is EXCELLENT craftsmanship and a great gesture. The box looks very nice! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS