Breadbox project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
My wife got tired of the bread stuff just sitting on the counter so I offered to make a breadbox. This was another really fun build. I just love making stuff. I actually assembled it before lunch so I even stopped for lunch today. Yesterday, not so much. lol
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Breadbox.jpg
    Breadbox.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Breadbox 1.jpg
    Breadbox 1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Breadbox 2.jpg
    Breadbox 2.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 226

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nicely done. Can you provide more details about how the tambor (I think that's the right term for the sliding door, but could be wrong) is made.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Thank you.
I cheated with the tambour. I just used three strips of fabric and epoxied them vertically to hold all the slats together. And the handle is just an extra slat glued to the front. It rides in an approximately 3/8" channel. The slats are 3/4" x 1/4" x 13".

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Nicely done! I'm jealous that you can get projects together so quickly. At my current rate that would take a month.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Nicely done! I'm jealous that you can get projects together so quickly. At my current rate that would take a month.

I'm pretty lucky that my wife makes enough for me to be a stay at home step dad. And with him in school I get out in the garage/shop at around 8am and don't stop until around 3:30 or 4pm

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Wow very nice! That sounds much better than my hour here or there after a 10 hour day at work. One day I'll be there so until then I'll live vicariously through folks like you.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Love the fact that a hinged door was avoided. Love the fact that a tambour door was used. Absolutely love the fact that you made the tambour door from scratch.

It's just a breadbox but it goes beyond just that in my eyes. Well done sir. Well done indeed.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Thank you very much. I'm flattered.
I did have one big oops moment while routing the tambour channel. Besides it taking a while freehanding it, I made two exact copies instead of mirrored sides. Luckily the material was still thick enough to send them through the planer to start one side over to make it right.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you very much. I'm flattered.
I did have one big oops moment while routing the tambour channel. Besides it taking a while freehanding it, I made two exact copies instead of mirrored sides. Luckily the material was still thick enough to send them through the planer to start one side over to make it right.

Do you mean "Make it LEFT"?

BTW - How is it cheating to epoxy fabric on the back of the wood to build the tambour door? Is sounds like an innovative solution.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
I was actually trying to figure out how to make it interlocking without having the correct tools to do it. But I guess when you get down to it this is how they did it way back in the day too. So I guess it isn't really cheating at all. I was kinda sad when it was done. I want to build another one with walnut now. LOL. Maybe take my time and photograph the process while drawing a plan to follow next time.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Besides a breadbox I was curious about tambour doors in general and how they work so I started exploring the idea. Boomer had the right idea using epoxy on canvas for the slats instead of buying an expensive router bit set for the slat joinery.

The groove for the slats looks like a candy cane hook

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/plans-projects/breadbox

This one looks familiar but this Pinterest crap sucks.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/480055641516249280/

Nonetheless, it shouldn't be too hard to design your own and wing it without a plan other than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors