Box Elder Burl Platter

teesquare

T
Senior User
This is a 19.25" Box Elder burl platter. The blank came from ACutAboveBowlCo.com they are in Utah, and owned by Kirk DeHeer and his son Gary. Kirk - being a well recognized - heck.... famous woodturner ( AAW Symposium presenter last year - and this year...he runs the Dale Nish School of woodturning at Craft Supply...teaches at John C Campbell, demos for a lot of clubs ) And Gary is a degreed arborist. So - what you get from them is wood that is rough turned, sealed and dry - ready to finish turn. BUT....more importantly it is figured and beautiful wood, in all of the species that get.

The wood - of even the same species that we have in the Southeast USA - are different. They are more dense because of much lower rainfall and slower growth. The figuring is always more intense because they have more wind....The minerals in their soil are different and I would suspect a high ph based on my time in the West and familiarity with the region. So, the colors are different - usually more intense.

Anyway....look them up and see what you think. I turn a LOT of wood from them and can give you visual examples.

T

Attachments

• 19%22Box Elder Burl Platter Overhead .jpeg
    19%22Box Elder Burl Platter Overhead .jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 19%22 Box Elder Burl platter side profile.jpeg
    19%22 Box Elder Burl platter side profile.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 19%22 Box Elder Burl .jpeg
    19%22 Box Elder Burl .jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 19%22 Box Elder Burl Plztter Back.jpeg
    19%22 Box Elder Burl Plztter Back.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That amusing typo got my attention.
Beautiful work on a stunning piece of wood.
I really like your analysis of the differences climate and growing condition make with the same species.

teesquare

T
Senior User
That amusing typo got my attention.
Beautiful work on a stunning piece of wood.
I really like your analysis of the differences climate and growing condition make with the same species.
Thank you Bob!.
Not sure about the typo...? Where did I mis-type this time? :D

teesquare

T
Senior User
Very nice!
What did the dying and finishing entail?
Layering of 3 slightly different blue and greens that I mixed by eye/feel. Wanted it to be multi-tonal, but not cluttered. I started with a deep blue, sanded it back to about 50% of the surface coverage - so that the end grain adsorbed that first, then a couple of similar applications and sanding with lighter blue, than an aqua green.. The black edging was free hand with an alcohol dye pen while the piece was mounted on the lathe.
The finish is an application of Odie's Oil and then after that cured for several days, a spay coat of Krylon UV protection matte acrylic.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Great stuff, T. I've experimented with some dyes and havent quite been able to master it yet.
Thanks for the site... a new place to send my money! I'd not heard of them, but already eyeing a few pieces there.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Great stuff, T. I've experimented with some dyes and havent quite been able to master it yet.
Thanks for the site... a new place to send my money! I'd not heard of them, but already eyeing a few pieces there.
Thank you Rob, and my pleasure to share.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS