Bowl Gouge Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

New User
Tim
The other day I had mentioned I was on the look out for a new bowl gouge to start turning tools, I had some great responses and different companies to look at. The other night I was in the shop bored and saw a piece of steel that I have had for a while doing nothing. It was originally used to make chisel for the forge, so I decided to take a stab at making my own gouge. It didn't do bad, needs more work on sharpening. It has already been heat treated now. Thoughts tip and opinions are always welcomed. This is more of a budget build and that is why I am trying my hand at making my own.
bowl gouge.jpg

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Tim, My hat is off to you for being a great American and pressing forward and just making a gouge! A very cool way of handling it.

I'm not there holding and or turning with the tool you created so no direct comments beyond that you will find it helpful to examine and then use some well designed and "properly sharpened" bowl gouges. Perhaps you already have done that.

I personally find that there are some subtle angles and relatively high levels of finesse to a good grind. Even though I have had several gouges for a few years, sometimes the grind can end up different from what I want and expect. The performance can be vastly different when the grind varies by seemingly minuscule amounts.

I'd be interested in hearing how the gouge is performing as well as seeing some better views of the bevel and a side profiles.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious about the process of making such a tool. Did you start out with a round piece of steel. How did you carve the channel making the u shape. Just trying to imagine the process. If you took any WIP pictures, I'd love to see them. Not something I'll probably ever try on my own, but my curiosity is peaked.

And good on you for trying and doing something so unique.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Tim, how does it cut? If you didn't grind the groove too deep, the shank should be strong enough to let you really hang over the tool rest.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS