Bought a porch, need some chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
My wife and I signed a contract on a log cabin overlooking the lake this weekend. The cabin has an absolutely beautiful view and a front porch that is begging for some Adirondack chairs . . . . I think I remember someone here on NCWoodworker that was sharing templates for a chair they designed - are the templates by chance still available?

Anyone have comments on Cypress vs. ERC for outside chairs and the finish to use? Doug R., didn't you come up with your own finish for the chairs you made?

Attachments

• DSCN1941.jpg
    DSCN1941.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 185

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I'm afraid I'll need to come and spend a few weeks there, just to inspect the property for you, to make sure it's habitable, and all:lol:

Nice looking place:icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rick, what a stunning view! Congratulations on the new digs. Pls keep us updated with pix on the rest of the house.

Scott

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Rick, What a cabin .....I'm so envious:eusa_clap Where is that beautiful view? As far a the material for the chairs, I would opt for the cypress. It's easy to work with and will stand up to the weather. What little I've worked with Eastern Red Cedar ( a couple of chests ) it seems to be harder to use.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wow Rick, that place looks great! I'm jealous!

Here are some of the chairs I have built. They are made of cedar and the last ones I finished with General Finishes Outdoor Oil. I'm trying to ggt away from varnishes and polys because they really look bad when the finish is damaged by the sun. The oil will probably need to be redone a couple times a year, but it's an easy finish to wipe on! I don't have any drawings, just some hardboard templates I made a couple years ago. If you make it down to Charlotte, you are welcome to copy them.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Oh man, what a view!!!! Where do I launch my Hobie Cat? Have you set aside a room for me and my wife?

Where is it located by the way? Hmmm, how many weekends (or any days) do I get for how many chairs- maybe we could work out a deal here? :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

This definately deserves a

"You Suck !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Thanks for the kind words . . . my wife and I have been looking for the right spot for the last two years and finally found this up at Lake Gaston. We really wanted something before the kids got too old to enjoy the lake. Best part is that it is only about 1:15 from our house here in Raleigh.

Here's a couple more pics (including space for another workshop :eusa_danc )

Attachments

• DSCN1939.jpg
    DSCN1939.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN1940.jpg
    DSCN1940.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 204

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Congratulations Rick! Nice house and beautiful view. We are permanent residents at LKG. Been here for 14 years. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
What subdiv./creek is your house in/on?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Rick:

Great Gloat! I used Norm's plans from American Woodworker. You are welcome to use my issue and the templates I made. (I did borrow Travis Porter's too). Second, I did NOT use my outdoor finish technique on these as I did not have the time for 6 chairs. That invovled three coats of Epoxy in differing concentrations, and then four coats of Epifane's Ship Varnish. Each coat takes at least a day and wwith that many chairs I think I would still be finsihing some of them today.

I would go with Nelsone's recommendation for the finish. I like the ERC and it was easy to work with for me. If you use Cypress get heart cypress to make sure you will have the desired rot-resistance. I need to get some to refurbish an outdoor bench and for a Lutyen's bench I have always wanted to build.

BTW: I think you said you are playing pick-up hockey. If so, where and when, and can I join you one night? I want to see where I am with my fitness before I launch back in and find another team to play for.

Doug

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Thanks Doug - I'd love to use your templates if you don't mind. maybe I can pick them up next week. Do you have pics posted of the chairs you built?

I am playing pick-up on Tuesday nights (9:30-10:45pm) at the Reczone. Good group of guys and a good level of play. Let me know when you'd like to play and I'll send a note to the weekly organizer (Gene). I don't think we are playing tomorrow night becuase of the Holiday but will find out if you're interested.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Rick that is a beautiful place. I know you and the family are trilled. Here is a link to the chairs I made. They are cypress. They are very comfortable. The backs have a curve to them that fits your back good. The foot stools are not attached to the chair. I bought the plans. They are full size. I made templates from the plans from hardboard so I could use the router to trim curved pieces. I put a finish on them but regret it very much now. I wish I had just let them age naturally. BTW cypress is easy to work with and probably cheaper then ERC. I paid a little less than a $1.00 BF for the last I bought.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=5170&ppuser=513&sl=s

J

jeff...

Rick that's a nice looking place there, those logs look like 4x6's or maybe 6x8's with one wane side. Pretty cool... is it SYP? I can't tell from the stain.

Thanks

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Jeff -

I'm pretty sure they are pine logs - we are having a log home inspection next tuesday and I'll also get the building plans at that time. Do you know much about log homes? They seem to be pretty popular in mountain and lake areas these days. This house was built in 1990 and they did stain it with a brown stain. The inside has been left the natural color. Most of the newer log homes seem to be finished with more of a clear or 'orange' color finish . . . . I have some things to learn about log homes and their up keep.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Dolan -

Those chairs look great and the finish look great as well. Is the finish not holding up and thats why you wish you left them natural? Where did you buy the plans?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan -

Those chairs look great and the finish look great as well. Is the finish not holding up and thats why you wish you left them natural? Where did you buy the plans?

Rick,

This is the link to the plans.
http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=182

The plan # that I used is 05L05.01. It includes the chair, stool and instructions to convert the chair to a rocker.

My chairs are in somewhat of a harsh environment (salt air on Topsail Island) and they have turned a dark color, which is partly mold. I believe they would be more gray/silver if I had not applied any finish to them. I can wash them and they look better.

Each chair used 25BF of material and I made two of them in 26 hours. The plan calls for some #10 screws. In my opinion # 8 is large enough.

I have used mine quite a bit on my boat dock and I find them to very comfortable. The wide arms are great for a glass and snacks. :lol::lol:

J

jeff...

Jeff -

I'm pretty sure they are pine logs - we are having a log home inspection next tuesday and I'll also get the building plans at that time. Do you know much about log homes? They seem to be pretty popular in mountain and lake areas these days. This house was built in 1990 and they did stain it with a brown stain. The inside has been left the natural color. Most of the newer log homes seem to be finished with more of a clear or 'orange' color finish . . . . I have some things to learn about log homes and their up keep.

Do I know much about log homes? No sure don't but everyone I've been in is very cool in both the winter and summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors