Bookshelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I started building a couple of bookshelves this weekend. The wife wanted "hanging" shelves, meaning no visible supports. I figured the best way to support them is to mount a 36in long 2"x2" to the wall studs with 3" long screws and to mount the bookshelf to that...we'll see if it works, but I'm going to finish them up and get it ready to stain this weekend.

Attachments

• Bookshelf.jpg
    Bookshelf.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 187

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sandy,

Props to you for making those. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap The LOML went out and bought a few of those and they didn't mount very well at all. I always swore I could mount them better "my way," which is basically what you are doing. Looks great so far. I can't wait to see the finished product! :icon_thum

Trent

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Gonna use french cleats on the 2x2s?

Jim,
I am not going to use french cleats....I determined that if I used them, it would not be enough support for the self - the top of it is 1/2" plywood and there's no telling what she will be putting on it. The primary connection will be 2" long screws that will be screwed in each side.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
So how did it go? Did it work like you expected?

Travis......NOT WELL!!!!! LOML wanted the shelves to match some other items in our living room (mainly picture frames, etc...) that have a flat black finish. Instead of staining, I had a very bright idea of using flat back paint - I know, I'm a sinner. So long story short, I threw them away and started a couple of new ones that I will stain with a dark ebony stain. I will post new pics later today.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
LOL. I know the feeling. I made a table a while back, screwed up the finish, got mad and made it over again from scratch. Oh well, live and learn.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Travis......NOT WELL!!!!! LOML wanted the shelves to match some other items in our living room (mainly picture frames, etc...) that have a flat black finish. Instead of staining, I had a very bright idea of using flat back paint - I know, I'm a sinner. So long story short, I threw them away and started a couple of new ones that I will stain with a dark ebony stain. I will post new pics later today.

May I suggest india ink or dye. I believe you'll get a much more even finish especially in black. The dye has the added benefit of allowing the grain to show through.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Many times I start out making two of something knowing that I will make a stupid mistake on one of them. My "fire wood" pile has several carcases in it that we burn for my cigar smoking time, fire is outside in a chimnea. About the only time I am around my wood with a beverage in my hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS