Bobs CNC Router

WessB

New User
Wess
Is Bobs cnc router worth the almost $1300. I have never used a cnc machine before and would love to get into that phase of woodworking. I don't know what options are available for machines to do woodworking. If that is to little money or to much money, it's pretty pricey for me. I have done a little research, and I find the finished projects are amazing. Would love any input...do's and don'ts, suggestions for alternatives. I have a router in a side table of my table saw, so I don't really need something else to do just straight router work. Carving and engraving stuff I have seen is what interests me.
Thanks in advance

Wess

Echd

C
User
I have not used that brand but they seem generally maligned. Building a cnc machine out of plywood just seems like a very poor idea.

Why not tell people where you live and see if anyone has a CNC near you?

The machine itself is just one part of the equation as well. You will need software (most people myself included favor vectric vcarve and vcarve pro, which runs from $400-800 for the most commonly used versions).

You will need a motor, ranging from a simple trim router (most people favor the makitas) to a spindle ($250 on up at a minimum and that's if you are comfortable doing some wiring youself).

Bits are important too but there are deals out there for them. With a smaller machine or weaker motor you'll be using 1/8 and 1/4 inch bits mainly. They can range from a few bucks for a simple 1/8 inch bit to a hundred bucks plus for a specialty bit.

CNCs are a ton of fun but if a month or two of saving could get you a step up, you won't regret the additional cost instead of fighting with the machine. I would look at Onefinity and Shapeoko first and foremost in the hobbyist space. Onefinity is pricier but far higher quality with lower overall maintenance (no belts for tensioning!). Shapeokos have some nice features as well. Other common brands to look into include Xcarve and Sienci. Langmuir may be an option as well on the upper end of the hobbyist space.

WessB

New User
Wess
I just watched a video about a Shapeoko, because it was touted as for beginners. He said the 4 was the cheaper model BUT it included everything you could possibly need other than a router or spindle. but that quickly becomes $2K.
I will look into the others you mentioned.
And if any on else is reading this I'm in Hertford, midway between Hertford and Elizabith City, as you mentioned....if anyone is close I would love some real-world experience and guidance.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
The forces and torques on the components of a cnc are fairly large unless your feed speed is VERY low. Therefore, IMO, a plywood structure seems too light for the job.
I'm in Durham and would welcome a real-time demo on an Axiom Precision CNC.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
IMHO if you would be spending that much on a slap it together on plywood CNC router I'd rather do something that was more finished and a full product like the Shapeoko even if it was a bit more expensive, especially if it was my first CNC router. Get something with at least aluminum rails and squaring. There is a steep learning curve here that can be aided along with using a much more proven product. If you want to move on after that then it's more likely the Shapeoko will hold resale value better.

I hate reinventing the wheel when others have already invented that wheel. That said, I hate worse spending more than what I need to for a decent tool, especially one I just want to play around and see what it can do, and I understand your dilemma. But I most hate spending big bucks and finding out the tool I thought would do what I wanted just doesn't have the accuracy to pull it all off.

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
As others have mentioned, its a big investment in learning , AFTER you buy the machine. First, determine what youd like to do with it, I see so many CNCs on the used market that have never been turned on because people dont realize the task ahead when they buy one or even how to apply it. Once you know what youd like to do with it, then go see and or talk to someone whos doing similar things with it and pick their brain. Ive seen some amazing things come off of small home built machines and some really crappy work from industrial machines.

WessB

New User
Wess
I welcome and appreciate all of the input. I obviously have a good bit more research to do.

Wess

WessB

New User
Wess
Joe I appreciate your in person demo, but Durham is about 3 hour drive each way. So maybe a time in the future if I am headed out west I could take you up on the offer.
Thanks just the same.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I had a customer/friend that bought a Bob's CNC because he thought it was a good deal...the machine never performed as well as advertised...the plywood construction was not strong enough, the belt drives were constantly in need of adjustment, and the electronics had to be replaced 3 times and the VFD/spindle twice due to a short in the system.

My youngest brother lives in Hertford.

WessB

New User
Wess
Phil, Thanks for the heads up, sorry to hear of all of trouble your friend had. That is the kind of information I was looking to hear about.
Is your brother a woodworker or a shooter? Either one of them and I would be happy to extend him a visit to see my shop or shoot some guns in the back yard.

Wess, Weight Station Rd.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Wes’s, 3 years ago I bought a BobsCNC Evo 4 for $600 on fbmarketplace from a woman who used it twice during the pandemic. I really like it and the best part is that her and her husband had to put it all together. It’s not flimsy at all and I really like their basic cad and sender that you get for free. The cutting space is 24” x 24” and it uses a dewalt palm router. If you buy one new then you will have to spend a few hours assembling it (there are a number of YouTube videos showing people assembling theirs out of the box). The customer service at bobscnc ( a small family owned company in Missouri) is really good.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I had a bob’s cnc for about three years. I really had no problem with it, it is not a pro grade machine and is not priced like one. I bought mine used for 500.00 and sold it three years later for the same amount. I used it to learn the basics of cnc. Yes it has a little flex and needs to be tightened up once in awhile, but it is a beginner’s machine and works really good for that. I would recommend starting with a used bob’s machine and then selling it when you decide if cnc is for you and you out grow it. They are for sale on facebook marketplace quite often. As it was said before the customer service is top notch even if you have a machine that you bought used. I am in belhaven and would be happy to show you my cnc.

kg5000

Kenny
User
I built (and rebuilt) a machine starting with MDF. At first it had belts. The machine was a great leaning experience but was terrible.

After a few years of trying to make the design more sturdy, using lead screws, etc. it got slightly better but still wasn't that good.

I found Joes CNC where a guy sells you detailed plans and access to a builders forum for $75. I almost built the machine but them found a forum member selling his 4x4. The machines controller was poor but I had invested in a great controller with Mach 4 so I immediately swapped my controller in. I paid $900 for that machine about 4 years ago and have been happy with it.

Also echo the good things about VCarve. Fantastic software, vast tutorial video library online, etc

Ken

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS