Blast Gate Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
There has probably been more said about the topic of dust collection than anything I've read on here. So---- I'm ready to stop "biting the dust" and install a collection system. I presently own a simple Delta single stage system and a good Delta fine particle unit. So, here's my question for now.

Blast gates; where do you get 'em and how much did you pay? I've made up my mind I'm gonna go with metal gates. I've heard too much about problems with plastic gates. The cheapest I've seen them is 7.99 at Rockler on sale right now. Anyone have a better source? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanx.

Oh, by the way. The doc released me to go back into the shop yesterday, and I spent about a half day today making some turntables and planing down some cypress to make some more rockers.
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, posts, messages and most of all your prayers. This is a great bunch!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
glad to see you are able to get back into the sawdust. Hope everything is going well for you.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I can't help with your question, Reggie. I'm just glad to hear the Doc released you to the sawdust pile:icon_thum.
Just go easy...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Reggie, good to have you back. I got my blast gates from The Blastgate Company. Guess what they make :) -> http://www.blastgateco.com/blastgates.php
I got the cheap aluminum ones, they work fine, but I did have one of them clog after about 6 months. Easy enough to remedy, just take off the bolts, clean and reattach.

I'm not sure if the self-cleaning ones are worth the money. I now make it a point to check the gates and duct work every six months anyway (with the time change), in case of blockages, leaks etc. Takes about 30 minutes. I also have my blast gates mounted horizontally, that also helps in them staying clean.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bas: Thanks for the link. I had JUST discovered it on Amazon. They do have good prices it seems. Probably will call them tomorrow. I'm going with the 4" stuff I think. Thanks for the reply and your well wishes.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don't forget Klingspor. Best I can remember, 4" aluminum gate is $8.99, less NCWW discount. Brings them down to about $8 each.

M

McRabbet

Reggie,

Consider making them yourself. There are a couple of links in our Link Library and I have some pictures you may want to browse in my PhotoGallery Album on Dust Collection. Here is a typical one I made from a sandwich of 3/4" birch ply and a slider of 1/4" Baltic Birch with a 4" S&D PVC coupling (cut in half and glued in to each side with Gorilla Glue):
BG-4.JPG

If I made these again, I would make the slider go all the way through and have a 4" hole in one part of it and a solid gate in the other part (it becomes self-cleaning that way. I used available scrap plywood -- I'd make them of 1/2" stock for the "body" and a piece of laminate for the slider next time.

I even went a step further and made a "wye" pair of gates at my small Dust Collector to allow branching from one main line to another.
BG-8.JPG

If you notice the disks under it -- the nylon cords from above connect to the two gates and a short line between the bottom side pulls one gate closed when the other is opened. It works very well. I am replacing all of this with 6" duct and gates for my ClearVue CV1800 Cyclone that I'll install in the next month or so (Like you, I'm in recuperation, but from shoulder surgery).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Reggie,

If you order from Rockler don't forget to ask for the free shipping, it ends on Sun. 3/23.

Jimmy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors