Bigger planer

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Chang Type is the 100% owner of Delta Power.
Neither CTI nor TII are exclusive. They all makes stuff for everyone.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use an old Ryobi AP-10 which is only 10 inches wide. I like the fact that I can sharpen the knives rather than replace them. The 10 inch width is hardly ever a limitation. But sometimes I dream of a wider and newer and helical head planner. One thing I look at is Rikon or Jet portables with a helical head already installed. Might be something else to consider.
Can't see another light weight portable even with a helical head. One thing to watch. To keep the price down, fewer bits and usually 2-sided, not 4. So actually a bad deal. 735 + Lux is under $900. Next step up is $2300 for the Jet 15. 2 HP Universal to a 3 HP induction motor and several hundred pounds of cast iron.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I can’t see the point in putting a helical head in a DW planer, you’ll have over $1000 in it, won’t you?

Wow I just checked the Grizzly site for helical heads - yeah it could make more sense!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Griz makes a head for the DW too. Cheaper, but 2-sided! Yet they make 4-sided of their own and use Shelix on others.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mine is a 22-540. Modified with slip rings on the post to keep the head from rocking, DIY dust port, 1/2 aluminum plate for a bed.
I own a couple of the 540's, along with Rockwell 13" wedge bed and Delta DC-380 (15".) Got any pictures of improvements to your 540, especially the slip rings. Never mind, as I found you original post over a Lumberjocks from 2013. I did build a dust hood for my 540.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Chang Type is the 100% owner of Delta Power.
Neither CTI nor TII are exclusive. They all makes stuff for everyone.

Absolutely correct. A little history, courtesy of WikipediA:

In January, 2011, Taiwan-based Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd. purchased the Delta brand from Stanley Black & Decker.[2] Chang Type formed a wholly owned subsidiary, Delta Power Equipment Corp. to own the acquired assets including trademarks, designs and industrial tooling.[1] Chang Type is moving Delta's production tooling from a Stanley Black & Decker owned facility in Jackson, Tennessee to a facility in Anderson County, South Carolina.[3] Most recently, Delta has purchased an improved facility in Spartanburg, SC and has moved all operations to this location.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS