"Best" Value Lathe For the Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I am looking to upgrade from my old craftsman lathe in a few months...I want to be able to turn some bowls...doesnt have to be giant ones but I want to have one I can grow somewhat into. I can't afford the $1000s for one but look maybe to top out at $1000 to get the basic lathe and maybe add some things to it if I can go this rout....When do some places put their lathes on sale and does anybody have any suggestions? I know this is sort of a vague post but I am trying to start looking at my options...A good used one may be a great option...Thanks

Sully

New User
jay
My suggestion is to pick up an older lathe either a Delta (46-450 or similar) or Powermatic 45 or Powermatic 90. If you keep a watch for one, you can probably get a good deal and it will be the last lathe you ever need -- unless you want to turn something very large. And you can recoup your money if you ever decide to sell.

$0.02
J

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Leneave Supply in Charlotte NC sells a knock off Delta notch bed lathe for under $1000.00. It is exactly like the Delta which is also cloned by Grizzly. I owned one of these and it is a heavy duty small lathe. The ways are cast and machined. I now own a Jet 1642 which I bought used for $1000.00. Take a close look at Craig's stuff...there are some good buys...go outside your city and into the close states to save a bundle. Good hunting!

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Thanks everybody ..Im not quite ready but getting there. I do need to turn 32" between centers...I make flutes and most are from 25" to 30" long and I usually have a little scrap on the end but I want to focus on some bowls but not real large stuff...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks everybody ..Im not quite ready but getting there. I do need to turn 32" between centers...I make flutes and most are from 25" to 30" long and I usually have a little scrap on the end but I want to focus on some bowls but not real large stuff...

the 46-460? can be had for 500-600 and a bed extension is available for it. sawduster has one and likes it a lot.:icon_thum

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I would, also, recommend the Delta, with the money you saved you can pick up a nice chuck, two really makes life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS