Best table saw (NOT Sawstop)

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
What he said - I have an older Delta/ Milwaukee Unisaw that I restored, that is bulletproof. Powermatic 66’s are tanks as well. Go w/ a Unisaw for right tilt, or a Powermatic for left tilt. 100% steel w/ simple mechanicals. Put on a modern fence, (I have a Unifence), and ADD A SPLITTER/ RIVING KNIFE, (I use a shark guard splitter), and these are the best of the best in my opinion, short of a slider.

The mechanics of a table saw, (the electronics of a Sawstop not included of course), hasn’t changed in 100 years, just developments in terms of where to trim/ compromise to make more cost effective to produce. Go with the old iron!

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
The old iron is great, but restoration is a pure investment of love (and time). In our community workshop, we purchased a new Powermatic 2000B 3HP Table Saw, 30″. For nearly 3 years, it has been rock solid and performs beautifully. Three of our members had Powermatic table saws in their home shops before coming here and all attested to how well their saws had performed for them over the years. This new 2000B is proving to be similarly reliable and accurate. Plus, the accuracy is consistent, settings hold and do not shift.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I've never had a "real" table saw until recently. Always a cheap bench top model.

In July, I was able to acquire a 1982 Unisaw with biesemeyer fence. Very happy with it.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I recently upgraded from my 1998 delta contractor to a 1985 unisaw. It was in pretty good shape so just needed a good cleaning..... very happy!

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
In 1994 I bought a new Unisaw . Placed it on a mobile base. Turned a nickle on edge and turned it on, The nickle never moved. I have never had to repair, replace or adjust anything. I have lubricated the gears a couple of times.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
1990 Unisaw only replaced belts with matched set. Also Somerville sliding table. Could not ask for better.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
1948 unisaw here. It began life as 3ph and came from a commercial setting. I replaced the motor with a Baldor 3hp single phase, new pulleys, arbor, belts and bearings. I could have bought a new unisaw for the same money but the older ones are much better than newer ones. No complaints and it passes the nickel test to this day.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Got my 3 hp Unisaw in 1994. Put on a Biessemeyer fence and Shark Spitter; and hooked to my 5 hp Clearvue Cyclone whole shop dust collector and its going great. Just helped my son get his Powermatic 66, 5 hp TS. Put on a mobile base and currently changing out the motor to single phase. Put the nickel test to it during a pre-buy road test and that thing is solid.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Northfield
Altendorf
I wondered about the Altendorf.

I probably won’t ever replace my Delta, it is not anywhere near the best but it is what I have. I don’t think I will grow beyond my single car garage shop, the space is tight already and since I’m close to retirement the money won’t get any better than it is right now. So, maybe a better lathe or some other small improvements but I am pretty well stuck with the same tools I have now.

What I’m trying to say is get the most you can afford and have room for because it may be the last one you buy.

I sure would like to test drive an Altendorf.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Look for a saw that's made out of ASTM class 34 or better cast iron from a Meehanite certified foundry.
That describes the iron in the pre year 2000 Powermatic machines made in the USA. Those machines lasted for decades and decades, not years and years.
Some people are perfectly satisfied with a three dollar hammer, but that doesn't mean that it is not a three dollar hammer, if you get my drift.
The early USA-made Delta machines and the Canadian made machines were made of good cast iron also but not quite in the Powermatic league.
If you're looking for the best, then don't accept compromises because of price.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
I have a 1976 Unisaw I purchased new, in 47 years it has not missed a beat. Find yourself a nice old one and it will likely out last your use for one. My guess is mine will be sold when I can no longer use a shop and it will still be going strong. BTW I could not afford a Powermatic at the time, my guess is it would still be doing fine, as I did purchase a Powermatic jointer and planer about two years later, they are still going strong.

Bob

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS