Best Place to Buy Crown Molding around Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Figured this would be the best place to ask ... where is the best place to buy crown molding around Charlotte?

A buddy of mine wants to put crown in his house and I think the big box store prices seem a bit high.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Check with Queen City Lumber and Wurth. Is he looking for painted or stained? If stain grade, I'd go with Wurth.

Phil in Apex

New User
Phil
The BORGs are very high on crown... In Cary & Apex I go to Stock building supply.. Around here, they are open to the public, and very helpful. Plus, all their molding is sold in 16ft lengths. I got 4-5/8 primed mdf crown for about $.62 per foot. The exact same crown at HD was $1.13 per foot. No contest. As long as you have a way to transport 16 foot lengths, you are good to go. This was a few years back, so I don't know how much the prices have changed.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeremy,
If he's still looking for crown he should call this guy off of 85 near Salisbury/High Rock Lake(336-596-3331). I got 8, 16ft sticks of 5 1/2" primed MDF crown yesterday morning for $25 from him. He had 2 big stacks of crown and other moldings and may have some left. Evidently he gets re-supplied regularly from a local mill. The exact same molding is sold at Lowe's for $19/stick:roll:.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mat/475536450.html

Oh...be sure to bring some long 2X6's to strap it to for support or it will snap like a dry piece of 1/2" MDF. DAMHIKT

thesource

New User
Rick
What do you mean by BEST? Cheapest? Most variety? Most available species? The cheapest thing you can buy isn't always the best thing to buy.
In my opinion the "best" place to buy crown moulding around Charlotte, is The Moulding Source. Yes, that is a shameless plug for my company.
We don't do MDF, however.
We Love Wood
Almost any specie, and matching almost any profile. The thing is, we don't give it away. We sell it for a fair price.
I'd like to get other opinions on how they determine things to be the "best".
Is the best restaurant the cheapest, or the best tasting?
Is the best table saw the cheapest or the one that is the most reliable and safest?
How much are those fingers worth?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have not bought molding from Stewart Enterprises but have bought hardwood from them. They are near Monroe.

Even though I buy in small quantities they treat me as a valued customer. They gave me a price list of everything they sell. They must make every kind of molding in the world. Everything I saw was hardwood, really nice hardwood. From what I saw they make millions of bf per year but will sell you any quantity.

Family owned, not my family, and just nice people.

thesource

New User
Rick
Halfblind,
We do sell small quantities from stock or custom profiles. I wasn't trying to sell mouldings, though, just trying to give a little food for thought, about how we perceive the value of things. We buy so many cheap, imported things, and then wonder where our jobs are going. As woodworkers we value a high quality hand made piece, but as consumers of goods, do we value the same high quality, or do we want the cheapest thing we can buy?

thesource

New User
Rick
Stewart Enterprises, is a very good place to buy mouldings. Robert has a very well run company, and has made a wonderful business. His company and mine compete from time to time on various jobs. We win some we lose some, but we both deliver some very high quality products.
That's my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS