Best method to refurb a morse taper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been doing a fair amount of drilling on my lathe. I have a drill chuck attached to a #2 morse taper and that is inserted into the tail stock. The drill chuck spun a few times and has scarred the internal morse taper in the tail stock. Not sure if I just did not have it installed tight or possible the male MT was too soft as it too is scarred.

What is the best way to repair this ??

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If it's not scored too deeply then an 8-flute no. 2 morse finishing reamer from Grizzly will take care of it. They also carry a 6-flute roughing reamer if the score is too deep for the finishing reamer. T10289 and T10291 are the Grizzly part numbers. If you don't already have it you'll need a 1/2 inch square tap handle too.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Could you get a new tailstock ram? You have to be careful messing around with reamers. It's too easy to remove to much and find your taper is too deep for your insert. The shoulders of the chuck might hit the end of the ram before the taper is fully seated is the taper is too deep. Also, if the internal taper is scored, the only reaming needed would be to remove any raised areas. You might want to check with a machinist, if you have one handy.

Roy G

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd be interested in your solution to this problem as some of us might encounter it as well. I've had the drill chuck slip slightly on the tail-stock and usually keep a firm grip on it myself (whether that is a good idea or not is also up in the air - Am I trying to protect metal at the expense of a hand?)

You obviously solved the problem as you drilled 150 light saber blanks this weekend with Dirk's help.

Solution (or workaround) please.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd be interested in your solution to this problem as some of us might encounter it as well. I've had the drill chuck slip slightly on the tail-stock and usually keep a firm grip on it myself (whether that is a good idea or not is also up in the air - Am I trying to protect metal at the expense of a hand?)

You obviously solved the problem as you drilled 150 light saber blanks this weekend with Dirk's help.

Solution (or workaround) please.

I will be reaming the tailstock and replacing the drill chuck assy. To get thru the crunch I used sandpaper on the male and not so gentle hit with a mallet

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one of those taper cleaners - it works well for getting sawdust and any grease or finish out of the taper, but I'm not sure it would actually repair any scored metal.

Great for cleaning and de-gunking though.

Glennbear

Glenn
No first hand experience but I have heard of folks using valve grinding (lapping) compound. Allegedly a dab provides enough "bite" to make up for a sloppy fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS