Bending wood back to flat?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I recently purchased a mid century sofa that I’m am going to refinish. Apparently it was used on a covered porch for years, so the finish took quite the beating!

Some of the rear slats for the back support have bent. Is there a way to bend these back? Is this something that I need to steam? I also thought about putting them in backwards to bend back to the correct shape, but wonder if this is a bad idea?

Suggestions definitely welcome!

Attachments

• D47D935D-BF3E-4382-B997-DD892F996A87.jpeg
    D47D935D-BF3E-4382-B997-DD892F996A87.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 121
  • C0621B41-613B-4C25-99FA-320FE7439389.jpeg
    C0621B41-613B-4C25-99FA-320FE7439389.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 123

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
You could steam bend them but no guarantee that they will eventually bend back. Since you have to refinish anyway, why not just get some new dowels with straight grain?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Weather to turn them around on not or stem them back, might want to consider addid a 3/32 strip to the backside to stiffen them. a Thin flat piece would have prevent it going back to its old position. Something you might consider.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thank you both!

I’m guessing the pieces bent because of where it was placed in the screened in porch—in any event they will be inside during my ownership. And oddly it was only those two, the rest are straight.

I’m still working through how much to modify the couch. It’s knock down furniture made in Yugoslavia. Most of the screws holding it together have been replaced at some point and other reinforcements have been added. I’m thinking of removing the knock down elements and replacing with floating tenons.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS