Benchtop jointer advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Does anybody have any experience with either the Porter-Cable or Delta benchtop jointer? They are both at Lowe's and with my new employment I get a discount.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I wouldn't recommend a benchtop jointer unless you're doing small craft work like boxes, etc.

Check some reviews b4 you buy.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had the Delta 4" table top jointer and built a stand to hold it. It worked OK to get me started but the minimal width and length of the bed were somewhat limiting. I sold it on CL and now have a Grizzly 8" floor model with a 72" bed - much more can be done with it, but it does cost a bit more and requires 220V wiring. The size of the projects you build will be somewhat defined by the equipment you have available, but I got started with the Delta Bench Top Jointer and Planer. I bought both at Lowes and talked the manager into a 10% discount if I bought both at the same time.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Right now I don't do big projects. I'm pretty sure that the first full week of december I'll get double discount so I'm contemplating it. I don't have the real estate for a floor standing model. Atleast not for a couple more years until we look for a house to buy. My shop is a two car garage so everything gets pushed into a corner when I'm not working out there.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Boomer,
I have an earlier PC table-top jointer, still going strong. Once I got my Jet 8" I put it on my construction trailer, but last month brought it back in the shop when I was building 50 Bluebird boxes for a local group. Something about the ease of having it one the bench to make quick adjustments for small projects.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I was given a 4" planer many years ago (Craftsman) as a present. Table is not long enough, and fence not high enough for anything other than small pieces. Pieces that size are as easily done with a thickness planer and sled for flattening, and a table saw for squaring the edge (I just use hand planes most of the time). It is great for producing a maximum mess in a minimum of time. Mine sits in a cabinet collecting dust.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I second the idea of looking for a used 6" jointer. Longer beds, taller fence, and with guard removed can joint 8-9" boards. Put on a roll around stand, with jointer low enough to tuck under left wing of table saw. I would avoid the Craftsman 6" jointer with fixed out feed table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS