Below Current Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
What's the deal with the "Below Current Level" on replies. Don't recall ever seeing it before??

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I think Reggie is speaking of the post listing when there is multiple posts for a given thread .

Yep, Glenn nailed it. You can see the "last post" button but can't get to the most recent post's if they are "below current level". Just never saw that before.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is this happening on the Home page or the New Post listing??? I have not run across it, but I also work from the New Post listings instead of the Home page.
Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have seen it is the past from both the Home Screen and New Posts Screen. It is a bit of a pain as you can not get to the posts below unless you first click on "below currrent Level".

I have only seen it on larger threads (3 or more pages) but not on all large threads. :dontknow:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Is this happening on the Home page or the New Post listing??? I have not run across it, but I also work from the New Post listings instead of the Home page.

Home page. Just click on the "Last Post" button beside the poster's name (on the SNOW thread) and it will only let you go so far. Page 3 has been as far as I could get.

When I went up top to the list of posters and scrolled down it, that's where I discovered the "Below current level" deal.

Clear as Mud?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is an example:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f87/snow-20175/

tree_ltr.gif
post_new.gif
farmerbw Re: Snow?? 01-20-2009, 08:04 AM
clear.gif
tree_t.gif
post_new.gif
gsdoby Re: Snow?? 01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
clear.gif
tree_ltr.gif
post_new.gif
DaveO Re: Snow?? 01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
clear.gif
tree_t.gif
post_new.gif
woodArtz Re: Snow?? 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
clear.gif
tree_t.gif
post_new.gif
More replies below current depth...
clear.gif
tree_t.gif
post_new.gif
Gotcha6 Re: Snow?? 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
clear.gif
tree_ltr.gif
post_new.gif
More replies below current depth...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK that has to do with your Tread Display Mode choice. I view the forums in Linear - Oldest First and am not seeing the thread displayed that way.
I would guess that those who are seeing this are viewing the threads in either Threaded or Hybrid mode.
Those modes might speed up the download time on picture heavy posts as they don't show the full reply. I have never used any other mode so I can't say what's better.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
OK that has to do with your Tread Display Mode choice. I view the forums in Linear - Oldest First and am not seeing the thread displayed that way.
I would guess that those who are seeing this are viewing the threads in either Threaded or Hybrid mode.
Those modes might speed up the download time on picture heavy posts as they don't show the full reply. I have never used any other mode so I can't say what's better.

Do whut??? Can you put that in slow, Southern english???
I was not aware that there is a choice of "modes."
:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't type slow Southern english really well...the spell checker doesn't like it. But this might help.
Go to the upper brown menu and select User Settings, that will take you to your user control panel. From there you can select Edit Options. About middle of that page you will see a box titled Thread Display Options. Within that box is the Thread Display Mode option drop down menu. There you can change your display mode. There is also a good explaination of how each mode works and what you can expect to see.

HTH,

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Just before the first post in a thread, there is a button Display Modes. You can select Linear, Hybrid or Threaded.

Linear is simple. The posts in the thread are arranged chronologically. Oldest one is the first one on the page, the last one is at the bottom. The good thing about this mode is that newer stuff is always at the bottom. The bad thing is that you can't really see who replied to who. For exampe, Dave replies to your post, and I reply to Dave. You can't tell whether I replied to your post or Dave's - not unless I quote some text.

Threaded means you see posts displayed like a tree with different 'branches'. Certain branches are deep (replies to replies to replies), others are shallow. It's great to keep track of various talking points in the discussion, but it's not always easy to find new posts.

See http://www.fullcirc.com/community/threadedlinear.htm for some background material.

Linear is great when conversations stay on topic. Threaded is great when people wander off and you need to reply to the correct "branch". How often do we wander off topic? Well, this generally.....ohhhh shiny.......

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks Dave and Bas. I knew one of you would come through with an explanation I could "cipher."

OK, Dave, back in the snow, cause it won't be here tomorrow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors