Be advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That any tool whose description starts with the words"bench top" does not necessarily mean it is portable and you WILL need a location for for it whe you move it off the bench.
Either that or it will wind up having a DEDICATED horizontal footprint thus taking up "benchtop" space.
Get the floor model.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I'll take drillpress for $800 Alex...
DING
DING
DING
DING
DING
DING
DING
DING
BINGO!
We have a winner!
Where do you put your"bench top" drill press when you are not using it?
You can also add bench top sander,oscillating spindle sander, you get the idea.
I kick myself I did not get a floor model drillpress after seeing a cabinet design that had a "U" cut out of it for the post.
More storage room, the cabinet was on casters it sould be used for so much more.
(rant button off)

Last edited:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Well...I have a Delta benchtop that I built a mobile base for that has several drawers for storage of bits, sanding drums, etc... You're right that "benchtop" is somewhat misleading and you do need a dedicated place for storage whether that's on the bench or in a cubby.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
A bench top DP on a mobile base is the same thing as a bench top DP on the bench.
Envision a cabinet on casters that would clear the base of a floor model and a recess cut in for the post.
Need an out feed table?
roll out the cabinet.
Can't do that with a "bench top" DP sitting on it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yes, bench-topping is back-breaking :roll:

Lemme see :eusa_thin
Benchtop planer: 90lbs
Benchtop mortiser: 60 lbs
Benchtop jointer: 95-100 lbs
Bench press: 200+ lbs, but I'm lying on a bench with the bar over my head :cool:

Eagle I vote for more shop space and stationary tools . . . my back can't handle anymore benchtop tools :BangHead:

Roger

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Eagle, for some reason, this thread tickles me. I have been offered some 'benchtop' tools, and have had a few.... Now I have an even better reason not to get em:lol:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Eagle, for some reason, this thread tickles me. I have been offered some 'benchtop' tools, and have had a few.... Now I have an even better reason not to get em:lol:
Oh yeah?????????:eusa_thin
What did you turn down?
What are they, and where are they?:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
drill press - declined
planer - sold
Mortiser - keeping
various others of questionable quality and brand.... someday... some of what I turn down is largely due to space issues. 200 bf of maple and walnut, 20" planer, 8" jointer, DC, tablesaw with outfeed/assembly table, wall of shelves, 4 four-lamp ceiling units misplaced on the floor, 1 complete door exterior door frame, and other miscellaneous junk in a one bay [STRIKE]garage[/STRIKE] shop all conspire against me to add any more stuff there. On top of that, an additional 200 bf of 8/4 maple will soon take up residency in my shop while I joint and plane it in prep for a couple cabinetmakers benches:eusa_danc (vaguely concealed gloat there). Not sure when it goes in, but it better be before the 19th, that's when we have to clear storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS