Bauer Planer & Snipe

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
I have a Bauer (Harbor Freight) planer. I get snipe. I can't find a way to adjust the in/out feed tables to eliminate the snipe.

Does anyone have any advice to give on what to do, including another machine?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Get a 6-8 ft 12" wide piece of melamine and run it through the throat of the planer leaving equal length on each side. Take 2 -10" wide pieces of 1" x 2" blocks and screw on the bottom side to keep it rigid in place. Add legs or supports on the each end and make sure it is level. Now you have the correct length of in feed and out feed table to minimize snipe.

This is the cheapest and easiest way to address. Wax the melamine before use

awldune

Sam
User
Get a 6-8 ft 12" wide piece of melamine and run it through the throat of the planer leaving equal length on each side. Take 2 -10" wide pieces of 1" x 2" blocks and screw on the bottom side to keep it rigid in place. Add legs or supports on the each end and make sure it is level. Now you have the correct length of in feed and out feed table to minimize snipe.

I should probably do this myself. Can you get melamine at Lowes/HD without buying a huge 4x8 sheet?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes they sell it usually near the wood trim or insulation aisle or you will find it in the shelving aisle Used to be 15 bucks for a piece probably more now.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't find a way to adjust the in/out feed tables to eliminate the snipe.
Casey's suggestion is probably the best option, but in the meantime there should be bolts under each side of the table by the hinge points.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User

I saw a video about this yesterday. How long should the new piece be?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors