Barrel hinges

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Anyone have any recommendation how to figure out the spacing for a 8mm barrel hinge to the edge? Have a project that I want to use barrel hinges and thought that there would be some kind a of instruction on spacing. But nope. Thanks for any help

John:

I suppose that one could fold the barrel hinge so that the barrels are parallel, measure the distance between the barrels, subtract 1/16", and divide by 2, which should be the distance from the edge of the door/cabinet to the edge of the hinge hole. Add 4mm for the center of the hole.

As long as there are no projections from either the face of the door or the cabinet. You might try this method on some scrap first.

Hope this helps.
Tone

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ones I've used before came with a template that gave the required location for the holes. Just folded and placed it over the edge then marked the center with an awl. You might Google the brand of hinge to see if they offer a printable template online.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
The ones I've used before came with a template that gave the required location for the holes. Just folded and placed it over the edge then marked the center with an awl. You might Google the brand of hinge to see if they offer a printable template online.
They where cheap ones from amazon. I think I got it figured out after about 5 tries.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors