Barn wood species identification and worth salvaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretcj7

New User
bretcj7
Hello friends - I cam across 4 barns like the one show in the photo that seem to be in pretty good condition for old barn wood.

I was thinking this might be heart pine or yellow pine, but then after looking at it looks similar to white ash as well. Judging by the tobacco oil curers from Tharrington and Florence and Mayo open flame curers from 1960's I would imagine the barns to be at least that old or older.

Can anyone help identify the wood in the photos and also if you think this would be worth salvaging? I was going to use it for wood floors or walls in a cabin and plane it down so its not so thick. My wife wants a mantle and possibly some trim around doors or even baseboard made from it.

Next step is to find a dry place outside to stack and store the wood so it doesn't rot and keep well ventilated.

I took a piece and planed off some old wood and then sanded it to help identify it (lighter color wood in photos)
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 3.JPG

Thanks!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That looks like knotty yellow pine. Too yellow for ash. What's it smell like when freshly planed?

Those barns look to be in pretty good shape so your 1960s dating is probably okay. Deifinitely worh salvaging but watch out for nails and othe metal that'll tear up your planer or jointer.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
There is no question that is southern yellow pine (which was the standard material for tobacco barns). I would not be surprised if it was much older than 1960's based upon the aging of the lumber. It could date back to the 40's or earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS