Bar construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
So I have been happily collecting some wood to build a bar in my future man room. I have some spalted maple I want to use for the top trimmed out in walnut. Between baby feedings I have been going over it in my mind. I am doing some research online and come across another site where they are talking about how the finish is cracking and I stop in my tracks. There was much discussion on seasonal wood movement and how this cracked the finish. (several boards wide to get the bar top). First I was just going to plane the stock down stock to 3/4, glue together and screw to some ply from underneath.

Do you think this construction will cause problems? Would a thick bar top finish or marine finish work. Should I make the maple thinner (1/4) and then attach it?

Thanks,
Bryan

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So I have been happily collecting some wood to build a bar in my future man room. I have some spalted maple I want to use for the top trimmed out in walnut. Between baby feedings I have been going over it in my mind. I am doing some research online and come across another site where they are talking about how the finish is cracking and I stop in my tracks. There was much discussion on seasonal wood movement and how this cracked the finish. (several boards wide to get the bar top). First I was just going to plane the stock down stock to 3/4, glue together and screw to some ply from underneath.

Do you think this construction will cause problems? Would a thick bar top finish or marine finish work. Should I make the maple thinner (1/4) and then attach it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Yes you will have problems. Solid wood attached to plywood will have great movement differences, and that will result in the glue-up cracking and probably transfering through the finish. I would either use plywood or make your own shop veneers at 3/16" or thinner (affixed to a stable substrate like MDF). Or use the solid wood as is. You best bar top surface is going to be either a "bar-top" epoxy or a non-poly varnish so it can be repaired easily.

MTCW,
Dave:)

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Hey Bryan its nice to see a fellow woodworker in Greenville on here!:thumbs_up I cant help with the wood movement but I can give my 2 cents on Finishes though! I've worked in alot of bars from quiet ones to high volume night clubs!:help: And I've cleaned alot of bar tops out of all the bar tops I have cleaned from tile to granite & every kind in between A wooden bartop with a very very thick Resin Finish has to be my Favorite its reasy to clean it looks great it reflects light & it doesn't leave that awful sticky film behind! Plus to me it has a very beautiful finish one down side is the scratches but they can be buffed out or fixed very easy! but it should give him years of use & beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors