Bandsaw tire issue/info

JayMan72

Jay
User
Hey all, Mark Fogleman asked that I share this here as well.

About a week ago I made a post asking for suggestions about bandsaw tires. 

I bought the orange tires from Amazon as suggested.

Most of the reviews stated that the tires would be a touch wider than the wheel and after getting your blade on it and running it for a few minutes the tire would sit in the wheel fine.

Well I am not sure what I’m doing wrong but that is not what I am seeing at all.

I got the tires on both wheels but the tires def seemed wider than the wheels but I decided to just trust the process.

I installed a blade and for the life of me not only could I not get it seated in the middle of the wheel, it kept tracking forward enough to eventually slide off. I even tried putting on my widest blade (3/4) hoping it would “push” the tire down into the wheel. No joy.

After messing with for entirely too long I pulled off the blade and the top wheel and measured the new urethane tire against the original rubber.

It’s not slightly wider, it’s a 1/16th wider on each side and the only way these things will ever seat right is to actually bow up in the middle for an “unnatural” crown. I also measured the inside of the actual wheel and it is just shy of 53/64th’s (a touch wider than 13/16th’s)

So with that said does anyone have a suggestion on which brand I should look for? I’m not super comfortable getting them from Laguna considering the OEM tire just split after 4 years of hobbyist usage. Add to that the Laguna parts page wants 60 bucks for a pair of them and they are not in stock.

EDIT: These are the tires I ended up ordering

Attachments

• IMG_5866.jpeg
    IMG_5866.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I used the "blue" one , Carter, on my old Delta. Worked fine but the seam did cause a tiny "click" until I shaved it carefully. Kind of made me a fan of OEM rubber. Bummer about your Laguna experience. So-far so-good on my Harvey.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I'm new to all this and bought the sulpher Grove bands and they went on easy, fit great and I have had no issues with them to date

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS