Bandsaw Project - Hitachi CB75F

llucas

luke
Senior User
I have long wanted a better way to resaw stuff, so I made the trip down east to see a Hitachi CB75 from craigslist (thanks Martin)....it is a little rough and history says it was used mostly to resaw reclaimed barn wood....not a lot of evidence of TLC. But I brought it home
IMG_0390.jpg

unloaded it
IMG_0391.jpg

and began the survey. The table need a little elbow grease
IMG_0398.jpg

The blade is a 1" and has more history than future.
The upper guides are phenolic plates (I think) and the upper thrust bearing is fused to the point that the back of the blade has worn a groove in it.
IMG_0397.jpg

The rack and pinion fence system works pretty well but needs some new fasteners. The wheels are heavy cast iron and turn easily and smoothly
IMG_0399.jpg

The lower blade guides are again phenolic? plates but I can see no thrust bearing or place to mount one...maybe it doesn't need one?
thumbnail_IMG_0409.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0408.jpg

The motor is a bitsy thing with apparently gearing that makes it suitable to the blade. It is very noisy.....I think I will eventually replace the motor.
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg

The blade tension adjustment and blade tracking mechanism are very sturdy and easy to use.
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg

The standard blade for this saw is a 3" stellite blade...but I will likely start of with a 1".
Not sure of the vintage, still searching. If anybody can help with that I will appreciate it.
IMG_0401.jpg

So it looks like I have some things to do before it is set up and running. Stay tuned.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have long wanted a better way to resaw stuff, so I made the trip down east to see a Hitachi CB75 from craigslist (thanks Martin)....it is a little rough and history says it was used mostly to resaw reclaimed barn wood....not a lot of evidence of TLC. But I brought it home
unloaded it

The upper guides are phenolic plates (I think) and the upper thrust bearing is fused to the point that the back of the blade has worn a groove in it.

The rack and pinion fence system works pretty well but needs some new fasteners. The wheels are heavy cast iron and turn easily and smoothly

The lower blade guides are again phenolic? plates but I can see no thrust bearing or place to mount one...maybe it doesn't need one?

The motor is a bitsy thing with apparently gearing that makes it suitable to the blade. It is very noisy.....I think I will eventually replace the motor.

The blade tension adjustment and blade tracking mechanism are very sturdy and easy to use.

The standard blade for this saw is a 3" stellite blade...but I will likely start of with a 1".
Not sure of the vintage, still searching. If anybody can help with that I will appreciate it.

So it looks like I have some things to do before it is set up and running. Stay tuned.
LLucas.,
I am so glad you bought it. I think you are right, a little TLC and you will have a nice tool.
It looks a LOT bigger than it did in the CL posting!

No lower thrust bearing seems a little concerning unless there is something else in the Hitachi design to counteract the blade pressure...

Guessing it is not OWWM caliber, but you might go over there and post a request for help.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I’ve had one for 20 years.

Age-wise, I think Hitachi stopped selling stationary power tools in the US in the early 2000s - so that at least gives you an upper bound.

The motor is underpowered - being a 15A 120v geared universal motor- but bulletproof. It will probably outlive you.

-Mark

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Change the motor out to a 3 hp minimum and the thing will work easier/better. That was the issue with this model was the undersized motor. Look at ceramic or cool blocks if it does not have them.
The basic unit is a sound build

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
The picture that got my attention was the way it was carried in the PU Truck!

And only two 1" straps preventing it from 'wheelin' on out a there!

Lucky man getting that home!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a good buy. Give it a soda blast if you have one available. Although it's probably been rode hard and put up wet, I'm sure it will serve you well for a long time.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have long wanted a better way to resaw stuff, so I made the trip down east to see a Hitachi CB75 from craigslist (thanks Martin)....it is a little rough and history says it was used mostly to resaw reclaimed barn wood....not a lot of evidence of TLC. But I brought it ho
unloaded it

Luke - any updates on your putting this saw into service?
I have the opportunity to buy one and to my eye this looks like a significant upgrade to my current saw. Would you buy this again?

llucas

luke
Senior User
Henry, Sorry I have been so long at updating this thread. YES, I would buy it again, especially at the price I paid ($500), plus a new blade. It is WAY better at resawing than I thought it would be! I have not upgraded the motor, but it is satisfactory as is. This is a well-designed and put together saw (except for non-existent lower blade guides.) Te blade tracks well without these guides.

If you have another bandsaw for curvy work and are looking for a strictly resaw machine, I wouldnt hesitate to buy this saw, if it is in good working condition.
More to follow when I have time to get some new pics

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry, Sorry I have been so long at updating this thread. YES, I would buy it again, especially at the price I paid ($500), plus a new blade. It is WAY better at resawing than I thought it would be! I have not upgraded the motor, but it is satisfactory as is. This is a well-designed and put together saw (except for non-existent lower blade guides.) Te blade tracks well without these guides.

If you have another bandsaw for curvy work and are looking for a strictly resaw machine, I wouldnt hesitate to buy this saw, if it is in good working condition.
More to follow when I have time to get some new pics
Luke - What type of blade are you using for resaw? Source?
Do you also use a general purpose BS (cutting curves for example)? I am guessing from your comment that you have 2 saws. Do you cut curves with a large depth resaw blade (seems unlikely), or do you have non-resaw blades that you use? If so, which type? Do you have multiple sets of guides for larger and smaller blades?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Cool project, it looks like a beefy machine. I know you said you will run a 1” blade, but how can that be rated for a 3” blade? How wide are the tires?
Have you thought about what you are going to do with the guides yet?

llucas

luke
Senior User
Henry....I put on a Lenox Woodmaster B 1"...During this trial period, I opted for a less expensive blade (this one is about $80) from
Tool Center Woodworking Depot - Order Band Saw Blades Online
toolcenter.com
http://www.toolcenter.com
...there is however another Woodmaster CT (carbide tipped) at about $175 that gets very good recs from online users....
My other BS is a Rikon 18" for general use...I could never get it to do resawing that didn't require serious dimension reducing planing afterward. I use the standard guides that came with the Rikon saw and a 1/2" blade now.
The Hitachi allows me to cut 3/32 thickness and smooth it easily and quickly on the drum sander.

Wilsoncb...The saw is adjustable for different size (width) blades...I run the blade cutting edge just in front of the crest of the tire. When I priced the custom add-on guides from Carter, I decided to see how the OEM guides worked....amazingly the seem to do ok...but I do think they would not stand up in a production oriented shop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS