Bad Axe Hammer Saw Set

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're someone who sharpens your own saws, you know that getting the set right is one of the more tedious tasks, and hammer sets are widely regarded as the best way to get it done.

Vintage hammer sets are hard to come by (and getting harder), so I jumped at the chance to order Bad Axe's set when it was announced in late December 2023. It's based on the 1876 Patent Seymour Smith saw set, and is a nicer piece of kit than I expected it to be.

I don't when I'll get around to putting it through it's paces, but I'm looking forward to it.

PXL_20240226_005350406.jpg PXL_20240226_005400805.jpg PXL_20240226_005225943.jpg

ethanferguson

Ethan
User
I’d love to know how well it works for you, I’ve been struggling with getting a consistent set, and looking for a better way

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just received my hammer set this weekend. Getting used to setting it up is the learning curve here. With that said I like this set. I’ll have to work with it more to really know this piece of equipment but I’m impressed so far.

Carabnr

Cara
User
Any thoughts about brittle hard steel in some blades and weather a plier bend or a hammer set would be more likely to break teeth?

I would imagine less force with the hammer would get more bend and less rebound.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any thoughts about brittle hard steel in some blades and weather a plier bend or a hammer set would be more likely to break teeth?

I would imagine less force with the hammer would get more bend and less rebound.
You’re correct about the rebound. As far as breakage, if it’s going to break the the method will not matter. The steel quality improves a lot after the mid nineteenth century. I have had teeth break with a saw built in the 1860’s and had them break on saws from the mid 20th century. It’s never pleasant having that happen. On my saws I just wait and let later the sharpenings take care of it. The saws will function just fine if it’s one or two teeth. Eventually you will have a tooth there. Maybe not in my life time but eventually. If it happens with a saw I’m doing for a customer I give them the choice of me cutting new teeth on the saw or waiting. I’ve only had to retooth one saw for a customer because of that. Now you have to understand I do everything by hand, no machinery.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member

I don't recall seeing anyone discuss whether one type of set is more likely to break a tooth than another one, and I don't have an opinion or theory on the matter.

The easiest way to break a tooth is by trying to set it in the opposite direction, but, as Richard pointed, it's not that big of a deal so long as it's only one or two teeth (and they're not too close together).

Carabnr

Cara
User
I don't recall seeing anyone discuss whether one type of set is more likely to break a tooth than another one, and I don't have an opinion or theory on the matter.

The easiest way to break a tooth is by trying to set it in the opposite direction, but, as Richard pointed, it's not that big of a deal so long as it's only one or two teeth (and they're not too close together).
Thanks Matt, I sharpened the tip of one of my plyer type setting tools and snapped 3 teeth off in one press. pretty disappointing. I would immagine it would be harder to break more than one tooth with a hammer setting tool.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_0652.jpeg

Ok, I had some time on Sunday afternoon to play with little fellow. It took some patience to set up for the saw I was setting, but once I zeroed in on the set up it went really well. The jury is still out as to whether Im really sold on this form of setting saw teeth. I do like the feel of the saw I sharpened this afternoon.
IMG_0653.jpeg

This is a dovetail saw that was purchased from the estate of Eric Florip. It was sold as a kit and I had to finish it by setting and sharpening the teeth, installing the back and fitting the handle. I chose to blue the back before installing. I think it turned out great.
with that said I have several other saws to work on over the next few weeks and I’ll be running this hammer set through its paces.
Matt I’m looking forward to hearing your take on this little fellow.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’m using an inexpensive brass hammer I picked up at one of the big box stores several years back. It weighs about 12 ounces. With that weight I don’t have to use a lot of force at all to do the job. When time allows I will pickup a brass billet and make a smaller hammer or at least lighter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors