Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
After the craft show early this month I needed a short rest. In the meantime I took took a little time between plays on football games and during commercials working on this:

Again, everything done on the scrollsaw with some minor exceptions like the hood being done on the bandsaw. No, I didn't turn the wheels on this one, they were purchased.:embaresse

sawduster

New User
Robert
Bravo dood :eusa_clap I can relate to taking the break. I'm just getting over mine myself :eusa_thin

Really nice job bro :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greg, looks like you have those toys down pat. :icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking wheels. Glad you were able to take a break. We all need one from time to time. Welcome back.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
That is cool! How long does it take to do something like that - assuming that the wood is already milled to thickness?

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Gregory looking good my man.
I know what you mean about taking a break.
It's just to clear the head from repetitive stuff. Happens to most of us.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Thanks, all, for the encouragement. FredP helped to mill some of the thicknesses on this right close to 3/8 to give me room to sand. It doesn't take long when you have the right equipment, sharp blades on your planer, and a drum sander. I saw Fred's set up and I need to work on a setup for resawing thicknesses on my tablesaw.

Cutting takes very little time - maybe an hour or two. It's the shaping, clamping and gluing that seems to take the bulk of the time. I also take liberty with the pattern in that I add dowels in order to strengthen the joinery of the fenders, hood and trunk on this type of "toy". I started on November 2nd during commercials and halftime of the football games. Selecting the woods, attaching the patterns and cutting was pretty well done that night with the exceptions of the hood and trunk because of the gluing that had to be done to get the proper thicknesses. The following weekend was finishing the cutting of the hood and trunk, then the shaping of the trunk, routing the round overs on everything that needed a round over. I think the weekend of the 15th was too cold, wet and nasty outside to do much so I did some finish sanding and some drilling for dowels and wheel pins. I did the entire glue up this past weekend.

Total time? I'd guess about 10 hours of real time involved in it spread out over 4 weekends. Gluing and leaving it alone tries one's patience, but when there's an exciting football game to watch, one can quickly forget the project is getting some much needed "dry time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS