Baby rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I got some shop time for father's day and turned this baby rattle. Hopefully I get it shipped up to my friend before she has her first kid. It's made from crepe myrtle and burnished with beeswax. This is the best one that I've made so far. The rings make a much louder sound with less effort than the previous ones that i've turned. The previous rattles had the rings captured in a sloped area that caused them to slow down before colliding with the handle. The captive area also was not as wide as the rings.

DSC_5718.JPG

View image in gallery

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Looks good. :icon_thum Are you using off the shelf captive ring tools or your own custom built tools?

manfre

New User
Manfre
I make beads with either a skew or gouge and then separate the ring using a purchased captive ring tool. I use the tool more like a hollowing tool and only engage the longer tip. I've been tempted to grind off the shorter tip because I sometimes hit the top of the ring, forcing me to fix and refinish it.

When I get a bit more play time in the shop, I want to try separating the ring using only the skew and gouge. If that doesn't go well...I have been wanting to acquire a hollowing tool.

Amazingly, the full sized image is about 10% larger than the actual rattle.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice work, and I'm sure your friend will cherish it. In fact, it may be too nice to give to the baby. Teeth marks, yuk! :rotflm:

Bill

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Good job, Michael!
I especially like the addition of the fixed ring on the handle side of the rattles and its "white space", giving the overall appearance of an additional floating ring: nice artistic touch!:eusa_clap
Russ

manfre

New User
Manfre
Nice work, and I'm sure your friend will cherish it. In fact, it may be too nice to give to the baby. Teeth marks, yuk! :rotflm:

Bill

That is one of the downsides of making nice things for babies. I think the next baby toy will be a random piece of wood from the oops bin that gets sanded and finished as is.

My son found the rattle on my desk the other day and he loves it. Guess that means I need to make another one for him.

Good job, Michael!
I especially like the addition of the fixed ring on the handle side of the rattles and its "white space", giving the overall appearance of an additional floating ring: nice artistic touch!:eusa_clap
Russ

Thanks. That started as a third ring, but I liked the way it looked before separating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS