Australian Burl ice cream scoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
There is a family birthday coming up (twin sisters, who live together) and I asked them what they wanted for their birthday. One wanted a back scratcher, the other wanted an ice cream scoop (they will share!)

Don't have the scratcher done yet, but got the scoop done. The particular wood is BROWN MALLEE burl. The 8" blank was $50, so this is not a piece that makes sense as anything but a gift.

It is the color of a swirled latte, with a hint of leopard skin tossed in for good measure!
I taper the top so it does not get ice cream remnants stuck to the wood part, and I put in a smoke ring between each bead so they looked like it is individual rings stacked on top of each other. (kit from Woodcraft stores, $10-13, depending if on sale).

Sanded to 3000 grit (it did not need it!) and then one coat of LIN-SPEED gun stock oil, hand-rubbed finish.

BrownMalleeScoopW.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave,
What a beautiful piece of wood!

Love the bead detail too!

I am sure they will appreciate the "labor of love" more than you would trying to sell a $100 Ice cream scoop!:rolleyes:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice..I have not heard of that finish before. How does it hold up?

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Very nice..I have not heard of that finish before. How does it hold up?

I remember using this finish on a gunstock in the late 1960s. I don't know when it was first made. On a gunstock, i remember hand-rubbing in 15 coats, and the stock was waterproof to all moisture. I have found on bowls, 2 coats are enough. it is a matte finish, but it soaks in. You can put something like minwax tung oil finish on over the top of it to get a little more of a shine if you want it.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Beautiful ice cream scoop! The burl is just gorgeous with awesome shape and finish. Like the tapered top and the stacked rings look. I bet they love it and will enjoy using it. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS