Auction nets $250 for web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am a member of several other web sites, one of which is an outdoors, hunting, camping group. The owner died last year and it was up in the air for a while. It is a low cost site with only a couple hundred members but a very tight group. They decided to hold an auction to raise a little money to keep the site open and I was asked to help build a knife to auction off.

buffalo_knife_011.jpg

The high bid was $225, but the winner decided to send $250, that's just the kinda people we are. I think that group has a lot in common with most of the members here, as far as pulling together to help out and supporting each other.

When the previous owner let us know he had cancer many of us chipped in to help him live his last days in relative comfort.

I'm very proud to be associated with two great groups of people, each group brought together by the internet and common interests.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
That's great Mike. There are some scattered communities around the internet that are really excellent. There is one other forum I am a member of which posts "karma" items all the time, random people just giving things away to other members. After watching the news all the time, it's great to find sites like this one to let us know that there are still lots of good folks out there.

Also, that is a sweet knife! You are very talented. Did you do the leather as well?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It is good to find folks that stick together and help each other out. Mike you did a great job on the knife and for a worthy cause.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Pete,

There were three of us, one fellow in Texas made the blade, I did the wood and a fellow in Canada did the leather.

We e-mailed a lot discussing how it would look and came up with the "mountain man/ buffalo hunter" theme.

Thanks for the compliments, but mostly I was gloating on my friends, not my work. I'm really not very good.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks mighty fine to me!:icon_thum is that a buffalo nickel? or a replica? or am I as blind as I am forgetfull?:dontknow::gar-La;

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The knife has a real buffalo nickel on each side, the sheath has chrome plated steel concho nickel replicas.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Dang Mike, cool post and yes, it is good to hear of the good side of people, but that knife is really cool! Don't sell yourself short on the scales, they work with the whole set perfectly.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's beautiful work for a worthy cause, Mike. You and your friends should be proud.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Darn Mike, that is so cool. This is the way that people are suppose to be.
My hat is off to you my friend.
I am very proud to say,and tell anybody that you are a friend, a man and a gentleman.
Wish I could reach out and shake your hand.

YOU DA MAN

Glennbear

Glenn
Wonderful work for a wonderful cause, It must have been interesting coordinating the different work that you each did :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a wonderful gesture there, Mike!!!!

That knife really looks very authentic. (By the way, the photo looks pretty cool tool!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum)

Building virtual relationships with a fine bunch of folks must feel very rewarding in itself!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

If you don't mind me asking......where in Canada is the fella that made the leather shrive? Also. Where did the knife end up going? The recipient must feel really good with this piece and what drove it's production!!!

Thanks for such an inspiring story behind it! Just 'shows to go ya', that there are still some great folks out there willing to help when the goin' gets tough!)

Wayne

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh, the sheath is buffalo leather. That sorta drove the design.

The leather crafter is in NorWestern Canada. He did the photo too.

The auction winner is in Nevada or Ca, I'm not sure. She wanted to give it to her husband, but I think she is now having second thoughts. :rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Oh, the sheath is buffalo leather. That sorta drove the design.

The leather crafter is in NorWestern Canada. He did the photo too.

The auction winner is in Nevada or Ca, I'm not sure. She wanted to give it to her husband, but I think she is now having second thoughts. :rotflm:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! That design and component contribution's sure spanned a bunch of miles!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

The end result sure is awesome! All of the contributors should really be congratulated in generating such a great result!!! In sync too!!!!!!!!!!

Really cool, Mike!!!!!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for sharing such a delightful story behind it!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors