ATTN: Turners/Carvers with trucks, trailers, and/or chainsaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
So, I'm officially declaring the time of death for the Bradford Pear in my front yard. It's got to come down and I'm hoping I can get some assitance (I really can't afford a tree service at the moment). The tree has several good bowl/turning/carving blanks in the trunk and I'm guessing a lot of pen/bottle stopper/handle/small project blanks in the larger branches. Here's a pre-mortem pic from a few years ago....

tree3.jpg

View image in gallery

In exchange for Food/drinks, good fellowship, and diviying up the usable wood between the helpers (I wouldn't mind ending up with a blank or two but I've not even started my descent to the spinny stuff yet so I'm ok going w/o) I'd like some help taking the tree down and hauling off the unwanted bits. I've got an electric chainsaw and a strong back but little knowledge of taking down whole trees and no way to haul off the leftovers....

I'm located in N. Durham near the S. Bank of the Eno. If you're interested in taking part let me know what you can help with by responding to the thread. Once we've got all the bases covered we can find a day that will work for everyone.

Thanks in advance!!

Travis

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wouldn't even call that a tree, more of a bush. You should be able to take that down and cut it up in an hour or two. Start by taking off the lower limbs and work up till it is mostly a single stick then cut that off at the ground.

When I first moved out to the farm I took down a 26" osage orange with a Wen 12" electric chain saw.
After I got it on the ground I realized what I had done and bought a real saw to cut it up.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I wouldn't even call that a tree, more of a bush. You should be able to take that down and cut it up in an hour or two. Start by taking off the lower limbs and work up till it is mostly a single stick then cut that off at the ground.

When I first moved out to the farm I took down a 26" osage orange with a Wen 12" electric chain saw.
After I got it on the ground I realized what I had done and bought a real saw to cut it up.

Heh, yeah, I admit I use the term "tree" rather loosely and I'm less concerned with the taking down than the taking away....

richlife

New User
Rich
Why, don't you just transplant it? :rotflm:

(Sorry, I bet you wanted helpful offers -- but I couldn't resist.)

All you really need is a pick-em-up truck. Beg, borrow or steal. Otherwise, this is a good size tree to practice on. Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS