Attaching trim cross grain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm working on a bookcase and want to wrap the bottom with a 1x4 across the front and sides. I tongued the front edge of the bottom shelf and grooved the back side of the 1x4's so it fits flush with the front edge of lower shelf some glue and clamps will care of the front.

But for the sides should I groove the outside of the sides and insert a strip in between the sides and the 1x4 trim? Then make some elongated holes and attach the trim to the side with some screws? I know you wouldn't want to glue the 1x4 to the side it would prevent the side pannel from moving and I'm sure it would split it over time.

Maybe I need to snap a pic :swoon:

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I was with you up to "I'm making a bookcase". I think a pic would help a LOT :)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Is there any way to screw it from the inside so the screws dont show? sounds like a workable plan to me.:icon_thum

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Yeah a pic would help. I think I am with you but just want to see what you are doing. :) Okay so I'm not really with you I just want to see what you are doing.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Not everyone can woo the Grizzly girls with elegant words and speech, ya know.

I can! errr ummm on second thought maybe that wasnt woo woo they was shoutin.:dontknow: what type hand gestures go with woo woo?:gar-La;

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ok here's some pics...

The wormy RO is the trim that wraps around the bottom, I'll miter the corners. Here is looking at the side (back to front view)

P10100771.JPG

Here's the front - the bottom shelf front edge has been tongued and the wormy RO has been grooved.

P10100782.JPG

Here is the side again this time with the the trim that goes around the bottom - how do I attach it to the side?

P10100792.JPG

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would biskit the miter and drill elongated holes for screws in the case and screw it from the back side under the bottom shelf. If you cant get in there to screw it you could plow a dado in the trim and screw with elongated holes a cleat to the case and glue the trim to the cleat. that would allow the side panel to move and the trim would be secure without screws or plugs showing. the cleat fits in the dado. or I could SHOW you MUCH easier!:rotflm: understand what I'm tryin to splain?:dontknow:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I would biskit the miter and drill elongated holes for screws in the case and screw it from the back side under the bottom shelf. If you cant get in there to screw it you could plow a dado in the trim and screw with elongated holes a cleat to the case and glue the trim to the cleat. that would allow the side panel to move and the trim would be secure without screws or plugs showing. the cleat fits in the dado. or I could SHOW you MUCH easier!:rotflm: understand what I'm tryin to splain?:dontknow:

Actually yeah I do - However I was thinking of 2 or 3 splines in the miter. Tip it up and run it through the table saw - I seen Mike Davis do that once and thought it was pretty cool. Besides biscuits and gravy are for breakfast, not woodworking. Whoever invented them must have been hungry.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Actually yeah I do - However I was thinking of 2 or 3 splines in the miter. Tip it up and run it through the table saw - I seen Mike Davis do that once and thought it was pretty cool. Besides biscuits and gravy are for breakfast, not woodworking. Whoever invented them must have been hungry.

:rotflm:yeh but ya ever try eatin splines fer breakfast? norm would use his trusty brad nailer!:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS