Attaching small table tops

I am going to do some small bedside tables out of ash. They will be about 18 inches wide with the tops glued from ripped pieces no wider than 3 inches. I have seen the methods for large tops such as the z clips and wood cleats in grooves.

How do you guys attach smaller tops?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I also use buttons, only b/c of what Bill said. If you do them, it's easier to make the slots in the apron before assembly. I use a mortiser to make slots, but you can also plow a groove.

Truthfully, the Z clips probably make more sense.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am going to do some small bedside tables out of ash. They will be about 18 inches wide with the tops glued from ripped pieces no wider than 3 inches. I have seen the methods for large tops such as the z clips and wood cleats in grooves.

How do you guys attach smaller tops?
Keep a log. Write a how-to article, please. Post in the Resources forum. TIA!

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’m also a button person using scrap from the project to make them and usually just run a groove. Agree the Z clips look like a good solution but haven‘t actually used them. I did try the figure 8s and just didn’t like them (for no real reason).

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I once ran a bead of epoxy around the top of the aprons and legs. I set the roughly 2'x2' top on and clamped lightly to get the warp out of the newly refinished top. That was in 1971 when I was in a garage apartment. Last month I looked at that table (a family heirloom) and it was still holding without any cracks and the finish was still good. I don't know what I'll do if there's ever a problem. My point is that modern construction wisdom about expansion problems may not be all that reliable. Being able to remove the top is a big asset, no question about that.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
For a rectangular table, two of the aprons will run the same grain direction as the top - usually the longer ones, so I screw one of those to the top and let the other three float via Z-clips.
This gives the top a very solid connection to the leg set, yet allows for movement.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I prefer buttons and z clips and use a biscuit cutter for the slots for most large tops but for small tops under 18" I use figure 8s.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have used the figure 8 fasteners for small tables. They are quick, easy and reliable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors