Att: Carvers and Scrollers Basswood supplier wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I searched the forum for Basswood to see if anyone had offered a good source for buying it.
Not the craft stores!
Didn't find an answer.:(

Besides bass, what else is soft enough to cut 3D ornaments w/o burning up blades and scroll saw motors? I've been cutting some cherry and oak cutoff's given to me by a fellow member. It makes pretty ornaments but takes a long time and eats up blades.

TIA, y'all.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I bought some 4/4 basswood recently from Wurth Wood Group on Golf Acres Road in Charlotte. I can't remember if they had anything thicker but it's worth an enquiry. Good luck.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Barbara,

The cheapest places that I have found are the Hardwood Store or if you can't justify the drive, Woodcraft has it. I bought seven board feet from Woodcraft a few years ago and I am still using it.

Steve H.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Barbara,

Give Richard Moore at Richard Moore Custom Sawing a call. 336-306-3986 or his e-mail mcs@richardscraftwood.com. His mill and shop are in Clemmons, NC 27012

He had a booth at the Klingspore Show in Hickory and had some beautiful domestic hardwood in sizes that scroll saw users are usually looking for. I bought some flame box elder in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" ($150 worth) from him. He had them in 2' and 3' lengths in several widths from 4-10". I haven't yet decided what to do with what I bought, but it was too pretty to leave there and let someone else get it. The box elder is pure white and the flame markings are similar to spalting, but they are bright red.

And thank you for buying lunch for those of us who attended the train-the-trainer sessions. The pizza was great.

Charley

b4man

New User
Barbara
I can always justify a trip to the Hardwood Store! Didn't occur to me they'd have it:eusa_thin

Thanks Steve

Barbara,

The cheapest places that I have found are the Hardwood Store or if you can't justify the drive, Woodcraft has it. I bought seven board feet from Woodcraft a few years ago and I am still using it.

Steve H.

b4man

New User
Barbara
First, can I tell you that I swatted at that flea for a full minute before I realized he was your pet?:rotflm:

I just need 3 or 4 inch length, 2 to 3 in. wide pieces that are either solid 6/4, 8/4 thick or can be glued up to make that thickness. It's not like I need a whole lot because I just enjoy making compound cut ornaments and figures.

Thanks Tony!

What sizes(TxWxL) and quantities are you looking for?

Tony

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Do you have a Ben Franklin or A C Moore craft store near you? They have blocks of basswood for carving that might be perfect. I thought you were looking for wide thin stock, which is what most scrollers are always looking for.

Charley

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Last trip to jack's place [saw4you] I noticed he has a bunch of 16/4 tupola [spelling?] super light weight stuff used for carving. you might want to give him a call.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I cut a lot of 3D scroll saw ornaments. Poplar is my 1st choice hand down. Butternut is also a great wood for them. IMHO bass wood would be too expensive.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I can always justify a trip to the Hardwood Store! Didn't occur to me they'd have it:eusa_thin

I bought some basswood from The Hardwood Store last year for Luke to practice carving. It was 4/4, but you probably need thinner stuff. If you buy 4/4 and need it resawed, I'll be glad to help. Just bring it by the shop sometime.

Bill

sawduster

New User
Robert
+1 on Scott's suggestion of poplar :icon_thum I use poplar and a #5 skip-tooth blade if it is not too intricate. slow steady pressure with no hurrying ....let the blade do the work, it will. i have a small clamping jig I made to use for the second cut. I also round over the back of my blade to make the corners easier . i have terrible luck with cherry ......it burns so quickly. :BangHead:

b4man

New User
Barbara
I love your new avatar!
I just scrolled a reindeer out of cypress Jackleg gave ma a long time ago. It was a good 6/4 thick and so it was perfect for this piece. However, it splintered and separated in layers??? I found it pretty easy to cut but not sure about the breaking apart. I'm going to do another ornament later with the cypress and see if it happens again.

I also have the jig and couldn't live w/o it for compound work! Never thought about rounding over the blade tho:eusa_thin

Cherry and walnut just will not do. It takes way too long and my hand cramps holding it down!

+1 on Scott's suggestion of poplar :icon_thum I use poplar and a #5 skip-tooth blade if it is not too intricate. slow steady pressure with no hurrying ....let the blade do the work, it will. i have a small clamping jig I made to use for the second cut. I also round over the back of my blade to make the corners easier . i have terrible luck with cherry ......it burns so quickly. :BangHead:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Barb: I've got some really nice poplar if you want to try some!

I love your new avatar!
I just scrolled a reindeer out of cypress Jackleg gave ma a long time ago. It was a good 6/4 thick and so it was perfect for this piece. However, it splintered and separated in layers??? I found it pretty easy to cut but not sure about the breaking apart. I'm going to do another ornament later with the cypress and see if it happens again.

I also have the jig and couldn't live w/o it for compound work! Never thought about rounding over the blade tho:eusa_thin

Cherry and walnut just will not do. It takes way too long and my hand cramps holding it down!

Skip2mylue

New User
Heather
Have you tried Anchor Hardwoods? There is 4/4 and 8/4 lumber in stock. Another source for thinner stock would be www.thinwoods.com. Manufacturing is local and you can get custom dimensions and pick up vs having to pay shipping if you so choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS