assistance with Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
One of my guys had a Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig that needed a good home and mine was the best he could do...
He has no manual but I found it online. I thought the Iliad was a hard read.:icon_scra
He said it isn't that hard to use (sure for someone that knows how) but his ex-father in law always helped him when he used it. Add to that he hasn't seen it in years until I got it and well I could use some educating. :dontknow:
It needs some guide bushings and bits, but its a good start.
I can't get the picture to post but it did happen!
Thanks

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
One of the first things you will need is the odd sized DT bit it uses. I think it's a 17/32 and maybe your friend still has it laying around. Quite a few folks have the jig, so help is on the way!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Thanks Joe
We may be heading to South Carolina (and WC) tomorrow so I'll put that on my list to pick up.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Tim thanks, the WNC club always makes me feel at home. I've got to bite the bullet and just join!

If any of you in the western part of the state get the chance to visit with the WNC woodworkers, its a great place. Rob (McRabbet) did a great tutorial on routers yesterday. Very timely for me!

Now for my confession and DUH moment.... I mentioned going to SC and woodcraft and thought we might go today. I KNEW it was mother's day, but thought..... well I guess I didn't think correctly :slap: she still loves me though so it has a happy ending.

p8wilkss

New User
patrick
it is the bit, i had one of those jigs at work and the first time we replaced the bit it was not the right one. you have to get the bit from porter cable. i think that other guy was right when he said 17/32. those are the only bits that will work with that jig.

M

McRabbet

Andy,

It was great seeing you at our meeting Saturday and I sure appreciate the glowing review of my talk on routers yesterday -- it was fun, but I thought I detected a few guys falling asleep so we'll wait for the rest of the reviews to come in! Tim's advice is good concerning Whiteside bits and you should be able to find them at either Woodcraft or even Asheville Hardware. If you do not have the manual for the jig, you can download it here -- if has fairly detailed and well illustrated directions for setup and making a variety of joints. Good luck and hope we continue to see you at our WNCWA meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors