Assembly table pics so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I am trying to take my time and get it all just right. How does this look so far? I am going to make it adjustable height kinda like Vangaurds and John's but no motor Maybe a large bottle jack in the middle?

Assembly_table.JPG

Assembly_table_7_.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looking good. I see you conquered the challenge of creating a flat surface to make your flat surface on.
I will be very interested in how you make the height adjustment assembly.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Nice progress so far. The technique of multiple two by's that you've used to get a starting flat surface is the same methd that David Marks used on his torsion box design assembly table (Woodworking on DIY Network). Is that where you got the idea, Jon?

Rob

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looking good! Just a suggestion, if your grid is MDF, I would reinforce the leg pockets. They are manual and not powered, but you can always copy my adjustable height assembly table ratcheting legs :-D:-D

table-15.jpg

J

jeff...

Looking good! Just a suggestion, if your grid is MDF, I would reinforce the leg pockets. They are manual and not powered, but you can always copy my adjustable height assembly table ratcheting legs :-D:-D

table-15.jpg

I'm still waiting on the push button version of that adjustable table - Alan...

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Nice progress so far. The technique of multiple two by's that you've used to get a starting flat surface is the same methd that David Marks used on his torsion box design assembly table (Woodworking on DIY Network). Is that where you got the idea, Jon?

Rob

Who is David Marks and what is diy network. But the 2x4 was just done out of need, out of my head.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd

table-15.jpg

Thanks for the reinforcement advice. I will probably wrap it in Red oak outside band and inside also. Do you think that would be good?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Who is David Marks and what is diy network. But the 2x4 was just done out of need, out of my head.

You essentially (hopefully) used the two boards on top of the horses as the base reference and used them as "winding sticks", sighting across the tops of both to ensure they were in the same exact plane. Then you put the VERY straight and identical-sized (jointed and ripped) 2X4's on top of the reference base to provide flat support to a base sheet of MDF on which you laid another sheet of mdf used to build the table. Right?? :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

(otherwise you could end up with some twist in you table surfaces.

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the DIY pages on David Mark's assembly table which explains the whole process. The only thing you really don't need to do is "level" the saw horses. That step is not needed. You just need to ensure the tops are parallel. I found that half lapped ribs were easier than individual spacers, didn't require all the fitting that Mark's had to do on the last row.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I did rip the 2x4's to be even and then put them on the saw horses and leveled them but thats as far as I went. put a straight edge across the tablenow and its very straight and even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors