Artistic Minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
OK all you artistic mind's out there. I have some Magnolia wood that came from the LOML"S favorite tree. I'm thinking of making her a lingerie chest from the wood. I will use the Magnolia for the side panels and drawer fronts. What I need help with is what wood to use for the rails and stiles. Below is a picture of the Magnolia. Thanks

Attachments

• Magnola 004.jpg
    Magnola 004.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 146

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Walnut, Mahogany, Lacewood, or any darker brownish wood that would contrast the light color and pick-up the darker grain line pattern in the Magnolia

Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Like the idea of contrasting woods, anyone of those already mentioned might look sensational. Not seeing a drawing of your proposed lingerie chest, guess have to know what finish your going to use. Being a lingerie chest could you incorporate some cedar into your design?

Not knowing what a lingerie chest looked like, went and had a peek at them. Only ones I’ve found that came in contrasting colors were painted. Do you plan on painting or staining your draws, chest, or not?

woodnick

New User
Nick
Two Cherry's so far! That sounds good, BUT 3 Cherry's will be a Jackpot! The finish will be an oil or shellac so as to not hide the grain of the Magnolia

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
May be a little late but with if you add any ceder why not use it for the stiles.With the light streaks and heart of the ceder it would really contrast. Just a thought.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've turned a large bowl with a walnut base and lip, magnolia for the body, and thought it was very good.

The contrasts between the two woods accent each other very, very well.

Jim

DavidF

New User
David
Two Cherry's so far! That sounds good, BUT 3 Cherry's will be a Jackpot! The finish will be an oil or shellac so as to not hide the grain of the Magnolia

Just be careful of which finish goes on the inside; you don't want the finish to mark the contents in anyway or make them smell of finish! Maybe avoid an oil finish on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors