Arghh! Scratched Center Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Anyone ever had to deal with this. I recently assembled a fountain pen only to find it had a nasty scratch on the center band. It looks like the scratch was there prior to the gold plating being added. Alas, I didn't notice until I was sitting back admiring my work ;-) . So, do I keep this for myself or is there a way to remove the bad band. I thought about cutting the black plastic band piece then using some sort of puller. Oh well, let me know if y'all have any ideas.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• scratched_pen.jpg
    scratched_pen.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
There are disassembly tools that can be used to knock out the pieces. I believe that alot of people use the punch kits sold at HF. You can also buy a disassembly kit from about pen kit supplier. I don't have any knock out kits, so I usually end up trying to punch a long nail or screwdriver in the barrel. (destroying it in the process).

MikeH

New User
Mike
I don't think the disassembly kits would have anything that would remove the center band though. It is glued on. I think if you try get the center band off it will tear up the wood underneath.

Might be best to make it your own pen.

Just my .02

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Is the CB the type that goes on after you part off down to the tube or is it a tenon?
What type of glue did you use for the tubes?
If it is a tenon what type of glue did you use on the CB/tenon joint?
I may be able to offer some hel with a little more info.
Whos kit is it?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Eagle,

It's a kit from WC. I think they call it a "classic american". The band is press fit (no glue) onto a tenon made by parting away all wood from the brass. The center band is actually three pieces, the main piece, a small black band, and a small gold band. I thought about cuttling the small black band away with my dremel, then using a small "puller". Any help is appreciated! :-D

J

jeff...

Nice pen - nothing is perfect. Keep it for yourself I'm sure a scratch on the CB will not impact it's witting ability.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Wood Craft should replace the kit but they probably will want to know why you didn't notice the scratch before you assembled it.
There may be an easy fix.
Try overtightening the cap on the pen, that may loosen up the Cb.
If that fails,cap teh pen and just try yo pull it apart.
This usually happens when a prospective customer assumes the pen is a snap cap rather than a twist off and they "dissassemble" it for you,usually at a craft show in front of a bunch of people.(DAMHIKT)
WHen you grab the pen for either of the above two operatio9ns, remove any jew;ery from you hands(rings) and you might even wrap ithe barrels with a mouse pad, rubber bands etc.
There is a plan C but since it is a last resort I'll wait till you try the above two.
Make sure you get a good picture of the scratched CB prior to trying to dissassembling the pen to show to the folks at WC.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Well, I did it. I got the center band off using a combination of tricks. First, I twisted the barrel the opposite direction and that got the band to move about a 1/4 of the way. Then she locked up tight. So, I cut the black plastic band and used a small two jawed puller to get it to go the rest of the way. I had to use a CB from a new kit to finish the job, so now I'm down one kit :cry:. But at least I didn't waste the nice spalted maple (Nice Figures stock ;-) ). Oh well, one disaster averted... :eusa_pray. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• fountain_spalted_mpl.jpg
    fountain_spalted_mpl.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS